Early 2009 Mini Loads Web Pages Slow

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dezlboy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Dezlboy, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

Dezlboy macrumors regular

Question: Is the mini simply old and slow?

My iPhone 5 and iPad mini (new) load web pages over wireless much faster. With mini (even when wired connection) the "blue bar" moves very slowly and often pauses. Once page starts showing, speed it better, but not up to other devices. Although at times will load half the page and have to wait five seconds for other half.

Is the mini just "old" or can I speed up loaded, especially the blue bar.

Mini : running 10.10.5, 4 GIGS

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Are you using extensions?

If yes you can try disabling them. If you are using Safari 9 its bit complicated, first you have enable Developer menu in Safari preferences. Afterwards you see Developer menu, choose option "disable extensions".

If that doesn't help try deleting history (Safari menu).

3. Dezlboy thread starter macrumors regular

4. Dezlboy thread starter macrumors regular

Ebenezum, appreciate your ideas. Unfortunately they didn't work. :-(

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Is only Safari slow or does it affect other browsers as well (FireFox, Chrome etc.)?

If it's only Safari then you might have to remove Safari preferences. Quit Safari, find folder username/library/preferences and move file com.apple.Safari.plist to another folder such as desktop. Open Safari.

If slowness is present in other browsers problem is likely in your network and it will be more complicated to fix...

6. California macrumors 68040

California

If you are running 10.5 (Leopard), upgrade to Snow Leopard. 10.6.

7. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I think the first thing I would do is to run the Activity Monitor (which should be located in the "Utilities" sub-directory of the "Applications" folder). With that, you could see if the CPU is struggling at 100% while the page is loading, or if the machine is running out of RAM. I think these would be the most likely reasons the machine would be struggling...

8. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Did any of this help Dezlboy? If all else failed, jpietrzak's suggestion could provide some helpful information.