Early 2009 Mini Loads Web Pages Slow

Dezlboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Question: Is the mini simply old and slow?

My iPhone 5 and iPad mini (new) load web pages over wireless much faster. With mini (even when wired connection) the "blue bar" moves very slowly and often pauses. Once page starts showing, speed it better, but not up to other devices. Although at times will load half the page and have to wait five seconds for other half.

Is the mini just "old" or can I speed up loaded, especially the blue bar.

Mini : running 10.10.5, 4 GIGS

Last edited:

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Are you using extensions?

If yes you can try disabling them. If you are using Safari 9 its bit complicated, first you have enable Developer menu in Safari preferences. Afterwards you see Developer menu, choose option "disable extensions".

If that doesn't help try deleting history (Safari menu).

Dezlboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Are you using extensions?

If yes you can try disabling them. If you are using Safari 9 its bit complicated, first you have enable Developer menu in Safari preferences. Afterwards you see Developer menu, choose option "disable extensions".

If that doesn't help try deleting history (Safari menu).

Dezlboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Ebenezum, appreciate your ideas. Unfortunately they didn't work. :-(

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Is only Safari slow or does it affect other browsers as well (FireFox, Chrome etc.)?

If it's only Safari then you might have to remove Safari preferences. Quit Safari, find folder username/library/preferences and move file com.apple.Safari.plist to another folder such as desktop. Open Safari.

If slowness is present in other browsers problem is likely in your network and it will be more complicated to fix...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Question: Is the mini simply old and slow?

My iPhone 5 and iPad mini (new) load web pages over wireless much faster. With mini (even when wired connection) the "blue bar" moves very slowly and often pauses. Once page starts showing, speed it better, but not up to other devices. Although at times will load half the page and have to wait five seconds for other half.

Mini : running 10.10.5, 4 GIGS
If you are running 10.5 (Leopard), upgrade to Snow Leopard. 10.6.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I think the first thing I would do is to run the Activity Monitor (which should be located in the "Utilities" sub-directory of the "Applications" folder). With that, you could see if the CPU is struggling at 100% while the page is loading, or if the machine is running out of RAM. I think these would be the most likely reasons the machine would be struggling...

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal