Early 2009 Mini w/ Samsung 840 EVO Speed Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by RyanThaDude, Aug 9, 2014.

1. RyanThaDude, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

RyanThaDude macrumors newbie

After finding out the issue with the Nvidia MCP79 chipset in my older Mini (Macmini3,1) with Sanforce SSDs, upon many recommendations on this site and elsewhere, I purchased a Samsung EVO 840 120GB. I replaced the drive, installed Mavericks and enabled TRIM, checked System Information, and sure enough, I'm seeing the ugly bug rear it's head with this drive!
    Code:
    NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor:	NVidia
      Product:	MCP79 AHCI
      Link Speed:	3 Gigabit
      Negotiated Link Speed:	1.5 Gigabit
      Physical Interconnect:	SATA
      Description:	AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB:

Capacity:	120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
      Model:	Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB               
      Revision:	EXT0BB6Q
      Serial Number:	S1D5NSBF241496B     
      Native Command Queuing:	Yes
      Queue Depth:	32
      Removable Media:	No
      Detachable Drive:	No
      BSD Name:	disk0
      Medium Type:	Solid State
      TRIM Support:	Yes
      Bay Name:	Lower
      Partition Map Type:	GPT (GUID Partition Table)
      S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
    I tried an Intel 530 SSD for a while, but would only negotiate at a 1.5Gbps since it was a Sandforce SSD. But why am I seeing this on this 840 EVO? I don't get it! Everywhere I've read this SSD was the one to use! Both the Mini and SSD are up-to-date with firmware.

The drive is working, but if I can't get it to negotiate at 3Gbps, then I could've left my Intel SSD installed and saved the $80 and headache!

EDIT: I just want to add I've also reset the PRAM and SMC without success.

2. RyanThaDude thread starter macrumors newbie

So it has come to this. I removed the SuperDrive out of the bay, and installed the SSD there. Replaced the original Hitachi 320GB drive back in the "lower" bay. Again, reset PRAM and SMC, then rebooted. System booted normally from the Samsung 840 EVO without issues and recognized the Hitachi. Checked system information again. Success, the SSD is 3gbps as it should be. However, the Hitachi remains at 1.5, despite being the actual original drive that came with the Mini.

Attached Files:

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

It is possible that your drive supports only SATA@1.5 GBit/s. This table lists some 1.5 GBit/s models:
    http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/c51a283f52498251862573fa005a3c98/$file/travelstar_5k320_ds.pdf