Early 2009 upgrade to iMac Retina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fuzzygoat, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Fuzzygoat macrumors newbie

Fuzzygoat

My partner and I are currently using two early-2009 24-inch iMacs for home office and gaming, Recently we have noticed that they are getting increasingly slower as software requirements move on.

My question, is it a good time to purchase, we generally keep our macs for 4-5 years so we are like to buy the top end specs to give maximum life. Would we be better waiting for the Broardwell CPU upgrades next year, from what I have read it seems it might not be worthwhile as the bulk the improvement seems to be in areas that won't have that much impact on a desktop.

Just to give an idea we were thinking of upgrading in early March 2015. Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

EDIT: As it stands it will be a big jump, from what I can tell the iMac Retina (top spec) is about 15x faster than what we are using now.

Gary

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Of course next year's models will be better. But that will be true next year too. You've waited a long time, and the Retina iMac is a big jump comparable to the retina MacBook pros two and a half years ago. Your choice, but I would go for it.

In fact, I have... It should be here tomorrow...