Early 2009 White macbook Battery HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lord.Sauceda, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Lord.Sauceda, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

Lord.Sauceda macrumors newbie

Hello all, I have an early 2009 white macbook 13" (a1181) - 2.0 ghz; 4gb ram; yosemite 10.10.1

I very recently purchased it off someone online and I have some issues.

The biggest of them all, is this. I am afraid my logic board is failing. Reason is because originally, the computer did not start up unless plugged into the magsafe adaptor. It will absolutely not turn on if not plugged in. As soon as i pull the chord, it turns off instantly. The original OEM apple battery would not charge nor would it really be detected by the mac. SO.. i ordered a third party battery, one of the cheap $20 ones. This time, the computer actually charged the battery up, BUT when i unplug the chord.. off it goes.. so I just ordered a $60 anchor battery from amazon that has some pretty good reviews to see if that helps.. comes in in a few days.. anyways, I am returning this one. But what i noticed is that the battery status shows that it is not giving off any amps! The magsafe adaptor is green and it says its charged..Could it just be that coincidentally this battery is just faulty too? I really hope so. I tried resetting the smc. and pram. no difference. If its not the battery, I'm stumped. I can not afford a $300 logic board repair. Help me to guys !! What do you think!

Here is the status on the new third party battery:

Model Information:
    Serial Number:
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device Name: ASMB016
    Pack Lot Code: 0
    PCB Lot Code: 0
    Firmware Version: 006e
    Hardware Revision: 00aa
    Cell Revision: 2
    Charge Information:
    Charge Remaining (mAh): 5488
    Fully Charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5488
    Health Information:
    Cycle Count: 1
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 11980

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Automatic Restart on Power Loss: No
    Wake on AC Change: No
    Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake on LAN: Yes
    Current Power Source: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
    Wake on AC Change: No
    Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Reduce Brightness: Yes

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. To me, it's not worth risking your $2000 Mac to save a few dollars on a replacement battery, but the choice is yours.
    Battery Service and Recycling
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Lord.Sauceda thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. you think the issue is just the battery?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very likely.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Why should it be the battery - it is fully charged and yet won't run from the battery ?

If it running on the ac adaptor then it will always show 0mA so nothing wrong there.....

Most likely to be a fault on the logicboard or the logicboard to battery connector.....

If you are still within the return period on eBay I would return it. Was it described as having a faulty battery ?