Early 2009 with 34inch Ultra wide?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by aajeevlin, Jun 23, 2015.

1. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I did a bit of research but I just want to see if what I'm reading is correct and if it's actually doable. So I have a Mac Mini early 2009, and I'm thinking to go for the LG 34UM65 with 2560 x 1080, I do mostly word processing, browsing, programming etc. No gaming at all. I have here from the technical specs:

"Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" https://support.apple.com/kb/SP505?locale=en_US

So does that mean I can power a single 34inch via the mini display port using a mini display to DVI or maybe a mini display to HDMI? Thanks.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, although I'd just use a simple and inexpensive Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, and not deal with any adapters or legacy connections at all.

3. aajeevlin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the display port as well. I have never actually had to use a display port in the past.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yeah definitely use Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort.