Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, red discoluration on a black screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orestes1984, Jul 26, 2014.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Has anyone here ever noticed anything like this? The issue is I have 1 month of Apple Care left and I don't intend on buying a new MacBook as there isn't a replacement for the non-retina MacBook Pro.

It is a bit hard to interpret as its not the general pixelation that would indicate that it was a dying video card, or screen and I've seen plenty of the horrors of those on other computers.

I will try to take a photo of it as it doesn't appear in screen shots which indicates it's most definitely a hardware issue.

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this before, it's almost as if there is a red pattern burnt into the screen when I have a full black screen and the monitor is turned on.

To me it looks like burn in, but that shouldn't be happening on this screen and I've never ad anything on the screen before in the shape that it is in. I will try to get a photo but I can't guarantee it as it's that dull the "burn in" may not display at all.

I don't want to buy a Retina MacBook Pro as I need a computer with the capability to have large amounts of portable storage and large capacity SSDs are just too expensive, couple that with the non-upgradable RAM.

2. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is a picture of the discolouration, as you can see it's not normal, and it has nothing to do with my wallpaper or anything else. Due to the screen lighting it doesn't cover all of the affected area, but it gives you a good idea.

[​IMG]

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it only show up when the screen is black? It almost looks like the coating is worn of the display panel, i.e., its not an internal issue but a physical damage issue.

4. orestes1984, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a good question and one I am worried about but one I don't particularly want to here at an Apple store, so I'm asking here first before I go all the way to Apple for them to say something similar.

I don't think it's on the outer coating of the screen, or if it is I can only see when the screen is black. I can't think of anything that I would have done to cause physical damage, or that kind of scratching to the outer coating of the screen either.

I can only suggest that it may be pixels that aren't completely turning off when the screen is black, but it doesn't look like the usual culprit from stuck pixels a failed video card, or a faulty screen. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the screen when I'm looking at my desktop with a black wallpaper so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

I can't think of anything else that would cause that kind of red discolouration on the screen while it's turned on but the LCD itself now though as I can't see it at any other time and if I look at it closely I can definitely see pixels that appear red.

The more I look at it the more it looks like its behind the glass and it is effecting other dark colours as well, not just black. It appears notable though less defined on dark green, purple, dark blue, etc.

5. triplelucky macrumors regular

Is it located directly in front of where the apple logo is located on the other side of the lid?