Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro Sata III

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eerikk, May 24, 2012.

1. eerikk macrumors newbie

What does "Negotiated Link Speed:3 Gigabit" mean when I have a sata III drive and connection?

I have an Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro and purchased a Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD to replace the HDD. It's all running fine (kind of). I have the latest firmware on the drive and all the updates for my mac. This drive is supposed to get around 500 MB/s r/w speed but because it is only being recognized at 3 Gigabit my speeds are being severely impacted.

Is there some way to force the drive into Sata III?

2. goRoostr macrumors member

3 gigabits = 3,000 mb. The drive is maxed at 500 mb/s... How are your speeds being impacted?

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Must be the drive. Your MBP definitely supports Sata III (6gbps); No way to force it to use 6gbps.

4. eerikk thread starter macrumors newbie

The theoretical speed of 3 gigabits is closer to 300 megabytes/s.
    But i'm saying the corsair force 3 should be getting 500megabytes/s (on a sata III connection 6 gigabit) however I am only getting around 100 megabytes/s. According to my system information:
    Vendor: Intel
    Product: 6 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Is there a way to force that negotiated link speed to 6 gigabit because my drive is supposed to support that.

----------

I sent in a support ticket to Corsair about it and they said to check with apple because it might be a compatibility problem.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No there is no way to force it because Apple doesn't use a BIOS where you can set settings, etc. It's a closed system.

Do you have the latest firmware?

I have an early 2011 and a Samsung 830 and it is running at 6gigabit. I get 500MB/sec read, 380MB/write.

This is the reason I always recommend the top 3 SSDs. Crucial, Samsung, Intel. You're not saving THAT much money if you go with Crucial than let's say a Corsair.

6. eerikk thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have the most recent firmware 1.3.3

I might just have to deal with the slower speeds :(

It's amazing how fast SSD's are getting cheap, I bought this drive in early July when it was saving nearly 80 bucks now I could buy this same drive for nearly half.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Seems like someone else has it running at 6gigabit on the same MBP.

Also remember, the 120GB/128GB SSDs are much slower than the 256GB and 512GB drives. The reason is there are less NAND chips on the board, thus a lower speed.

You're not supposed to get 500MB/sec read on the smaller SSDs.

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

3Gb/s = 375MB/s. 375MB/s < 500MB/s. Now whether that SSD actually performs "as advertised" is a different story though chances are it is still being bottlenecked by the bus.

9. eerikk thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the same utility and my speeds are about a quarter slower than his, idk but I'm not sure that speed will be visibly noticeable?

Bummer that corsair tells me the drive will get up to 500mb/s speeds but it comes no where close.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would expect a technician to understand the difference between bits and bytes.

12. goRoostr macrumors member

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

15. eerikk thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried that. Still at 3 gigabit

16. goRoostr macrumors member

Sorry if I used the wrong term(max) instead of around, I was just reiterating the original poster. If you want to nit pick we'll say Max out at 550, feel better now?

17. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Slight difference. Yes a bit confusing sometimes, but I do have to agree that it is amusing considering your sig.

18. goRoostr macrumors member

The MB ,mb is something I screw up writing regularly, but I assure you I know the difference. P.S. it wasn't a test question. I'm only a human.