Early 2011 13" MBP freezing randomly (RAM?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darnocs, Dec 14, 2016.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro 8,1 sometimes freezes randomly, and I think it may have to do with the RAM. I have 16 GB of Crucial 1600 MHz RAM, and I know the official recommended speed is 1333 MHz, but I've seen plenty of forums/users who say they use 1600 just fine. However, a month ago I was having some issue that required me to reset the RAM, so I turned off the computer and physically swapped the two RAM stick from their places. And then the computer started having some issues...when I restarted, it worked fine for a few minutes but then everything literally froze and I couldn't move the mouse, etc, had to force a restart.

I swapped the RAM into their original slots, did a few PRAM and SMC resets, and it seemed to go back to normal. Then I had to replace my battery so I did that a few days ago and the problem seems to have returned. It's working fine atm, and it only seems to occur shortly after restart. However, another problem I noticed is that most of the time when I reboot it as of late, the boot screen loads most of the way, freezes for a second, and then restarts itself, and then reboots normally the second time (except, of course, when it boots up and then freezes shortly after login).

I am currently using the computer now, and interestingly, it did *not* reboot once before booting like I described - it booted up a lot quicker than normal and stuff seems to be working fine.

Contacted Crucial and we did a RAM test and neither module seems to be bad. They said it was because the speed is too high (1600 MHz), and that a recent chipset update made my Mac more finicky about that, but idk if that's accurate.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, speed is wrong. Replace with 1333. Even Intel's spec for the 2nd gen mobile i5s only show support for 1066/1333 and no other.

Some people don't have issues with 1600 on the 2011 13" or 15". Others do. But you won't see any real world performance benefit with the extra speed anyway, so no point tempting fate. Fit 1333.

3. hwnstyle21 macrumors newbie

OP sorry you're having or had issues. I just updated our Early 2011 MBP 13 with Crucial products (16GB RAM and M300 SSD). Hopefully everything continues to run smoothly.

4. darnocs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, guys. I contacted Amazon and even though I ordered this over a year ago, they're giving me a refund and are letting me return the RAM so I can order the 1333 MHz this time. Amazon is the best!