Early 2011 13" - water damage

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
I have a base-model early 2011 13" MacBook Pro that was left outside overnight and rained-on around August 2013.

Hooking it up to an Apple Thunderbolt Display, it apparently won't take a charge.

I've opened it up and knocked some of the gunk off, but I haven't completely disassembled it.

Any suggestions? Is there any hope for it?
--

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I have a base-model early 2011 13" MacBook Pro that was left outside overnight and rained-on around August 2013.

Hooking it up to an Apple Thunderbolt Display, it apparently won't take a charge.

I've opened it up and knocked some of the gunk off, but I haven't completely disassembled it.

Any suggestions? Is there any hope for it?
--
It was soaked in rain 4 months ago?

:eek:

I guess you're not the only one..

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
It was soaked in rain 4 months ago?
Link didn't work for me, but yeah...

At this point I don't know if it's simply that the battery is shot, or that there are additional issues.

Figure replacement is around $1100.
--

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Link didn't work for me, but yeah...

At this point I don't know if it's simply that the battery is shot, or that there are additional issues.

Figure replacement is around $1100.
--
There are a million and one things water can damage on a notebook. The forums are riddled with a myriad of situations.

It's unfortunate. You'll probably have to purchase a new one.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
You'll probably have to purchase a new one.
I probably should have included the detail that I got this for free.

The RAM is still good. HD is still good.

Battery and motherboard are unknowns. The one-and-only estimate I receive on a new motherboard was ~$600. Probably not worth that to me.
--

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I probably should have included the detail that I got this for free.

The RAM is still good. HD is still good.

Battery and motherboard are unknowns. The one-and-only estimate I receive on a new motherboard was ~$600. Probably not worth that to me.
--
Bummer. Well maybe you can part it out on eBay.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Nice find though - an Apple Store might be able to test the battery, but as for the logic board, it's a 50/50 shot. You might have some luck thoroughly cleaning it and looking for any corrosion...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.