Early 2011 15' Macbook Pro - Logic Board Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brennan135, Apr 1, 2013.

1. brennan135, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. theBostonian Suspended

In the EU (especially the UK) we have good laws protecting consumers.

I assume you're in North America? If I were you I'd look up consumer law, especially a concept known as "fit for purpose". In the UK for example, under the sale of goods act, I could make a claim and get compensation for the logic board failure even though it was out of warranty. Depending on the product the protection can extend up to 5 years.

Is there a citizens' advice bureau where you are?

3. brennan135, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

brennan135 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Unfortunately I don't think you have a lot of recorse. If you paid for your MBP with a credit card, I would suggest checking with them to see if they provide any sort of extended protection for large purchases. American Express for instance typically covers the cost for repairs on products up to two years after the original warranty expires. They will even reimburse you for repairs youve already paid for. Some other cards offer similar deals as well.

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I previously owned a BTO Early 2011 high-end 15'' MBP, and I, too, experienced logic board failure within the year and a half I owned it (I believe the board as well as the RAM failed 9 months after purchasing the computer). I was really surprised because I really thought I'd have no issues with that computer for 5+ years, but I suppose with computers there's just always the chance of getting a lemon.

Unfortunately, I think it'd be a longshot regarding getting compensated for the repair, unless you can find a credit card warranty like the previous poster noted. Apple's policies anywhere other than retail stores are honestly pretty strict; they typically don't budge or give a whole lot over the phone is what I'm trying to say. Apple's retail is your best bet for leniency, and it sounds like you just got the not-so-great Genius. I know if you ask nicely they will typically review your account and attempt to get the repair for free if it's within their powers, but obviously some of the workers are just less friendly than others. If you didn't get lucky and get the repair comped in the store, I really doubt you'll see the $600 again.

However, you still have a really fantastic machine- I really did enjoy that particular laptop.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It's unfortunate that you had a failure, but out of warranty is out of warranty. If Apple compensated you, they would have to compensate everyone, and that's a slippery slope no company in their right mind would want to take the first step down. You are entitled to nothing.

The folks who repaired your machine were right. You should have bought AppleCare. It was available to add at any point during the original warranty period and could be purchased from any authorized reseller. You need not pay the extortionate price directly from Apple. I got AC for my MBP for less than $250 from Adorama Camera.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I had mine for 2 years now and have no problem.
    I did buy AppleCare and I think thats how it should work.

I mean Apple did give you the 1 year warranty.

8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

It is quite ridiculous that Apple only offers a 1 year warranty in countries where it not forced to abide by consumer statutory warranty laws.

Try contacting you local consumer affair office.

http://www.consumerhandbook.ca/en/contacts/provincial-territorial-offices

9. liadmagen macrumors newbie

Same problem...

1.5 years after buying the computer, I also have a problem with the unit (graphic card in my case). considering if to spend these 600$ (500euros) on a new all included mother board

10. TxStig macrumors newbie

Feedback regarding logic board repair..

Trey,
    Would it be possible to provide feedback in regards to the logic board repair? How long did the machine last on the replacement, or was there a re-occurrence later down the line? I will most likely get the logic board replaced, but then will either opt to sell it afterwards (which I am hesitant to do - but if reliability is a concern I don't see any other options), or hang on to it if the changes of another logic board failure is unlikely.

I too purchased a BTO early 2011 MBPro (primarily due to wanting the enhanced display) and wonder if these models are more prone to failure or not.

Thank you for the feedback,

JonS

11. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Within the UK Apple wouldn't have much choice if a logic board failed on a 2 year old notebook. If they didn't fix it FOC you can just take it to court and recover the cost of the repair.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

FWIW, the UK Apple Stores seem to be really good with this. When taking my Thunderbolt Display for repair outside Apple's warranty, they took it no questions asked. Even had a designated section in their Genius iPad app for 'EU Warranty Claim'.

AppleCare's, in the UK at least, just like giving Apple free money if you ask me.

13. syrakuz macrumors newbie

Hi,

The similar problems have iMac 2011 with AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card,
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167?viewlocale

in the service of Apple computers, they said they have 1-2 such cases every week. Apple to have not yet admitted, but it is the same problem as with the iMac.

14. magbarn macrumors 68000

What's sad is this seems too reminiscent of the 2008 MacBook nvidia fiasco.

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

My logic board and keyboard recently failed on my early 2011 BTO MBP. Took it in, it was under AppleCare and I got it a couple of days back free of charge.

If this is your primary machine, even if it's not, I would recommend AppleCare. It has saved me a number of times.

16. Valmorion macrumors newbie

17. ElliottG, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

ElliottG macrumors member

http://www.mbp2011.com/#

That website really says everything I hate about Apple. They brag that their stuff is good quality, yet they suggest you buy Apple Care...If your product is such hot ****, why do I need an extended warranty on it?

Sure, all tech breaks at some point, but I can name a few different laptops I've had that lasted way longer than a lot of MBP's on here...It's just a shame that people pay a lot more for laptops that are the same or WORSE than other laptops on the market.

We like to think that we're getting some of the best tech possible for the price Apple charges...but the fact of the matter is that you just aren't...it's a scam.

Just hope I don't have any problems with my 13" early 2011 anytime soon...

18. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Not sure why the OP deleted their messages but I had the same failure on my 2Ghz 2011 MBP. The apple genius guy told me that it was indeed a known problem. Now I can't help but think the refurb logic board they put in my during the repair is a ticking time-bomb not unlike the pre-uniboidy 8600's...I wouldn't be surprised that we hear that they will honor out-of-warranty repairs next year.