Early 2011 15" mbp service battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wywern209, Aug 12, 2013.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

In June of 2011, I got a new 15" macbook pro for college. Just about 2 years, later, the battery is claiming it needs to be serviced. It only has about 380ish charge cycles and the health is 73%. I thought the new built-in batteries were supposed to last until a 1000 charge cycles. This was pretty out of the blue too, the health was about 88% or so before but now it suddenly dropped to 73%. I have no extended applecare. Is there anyway to get this replaced for free as this is definitely a manufacturing defect.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

first check if there is any updates for your mac.
    Sometimes a battery can fail pre-maturely if it fails in the one year then apple replaces it free of cost provided it does not have to many cycles.
    Leaving the laptop on charge for long periods can also affect random batteries at times. Or they just fail.
    I suggest you speak to apple care and see if they can help you, they do miracles sometime. If not i guess you may need a new battery.

3. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

No new updates, I guess i'm going to have to make a trip to the apple store then.

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

It seems kinda low to me.. my mid-2011 MBP has 373 Cycles and is usually about 90% Health (today says 87%)

I do believe that I have heard/read that the newer Li-Ion MBPs have a 'Battery Expectancy' of 1,000 cycles @ above 50% Health.. I suspect a trip to Apple will confirm what they /can and will' do to help you out, but it may be nothing until it gets worse yet..

I did have 2x Batteries replaced under warranty on my last 2008 MBP, both were over 2 yrs old, but had gotten to ~35-40% with 150 and 170 (or some such) Charge Cycles.. Had new Batteries Shipped out and in-hand in 48 hrs.. Impressive service indeed!!

Please let us know, always good to learn how folks make out with their Apple Dealings.. Good Luck :apple: