Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
On the left side of my display, (up against the black gasket that separates the screen from the laptop base when closed) the "glass" is popping out from the top lid. The glue is just.. weak, or something. It's strange. Would getting this fixed by an Apple Store be covered by my warranty?

(for information, this was purchased approx. 3 weeks ago. from MacMall.)

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I would take it to Apple first, if you have warranty they will take care of you. If you are out of warranty, you could try taking a blow dryer or heat gun to that trouble area. Pass back an forth over it, then with a piece of cloth over your hand, pinch the panel back into it's spot for at least a good minute with your fingers. If the adhesive is clean, the heat should make it sticky again, if it is dirty, it will not matter. The dust will prohibit it from working properly.

mrobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I would take it to Apple first, if you have warranty they will take care of you. If you are out of warranty, you could try taking a blow dryer or heat gun to that trouble area. Pass back an forth over it, then with a piece of cloth over your hand, pinch the panel back into it's spot for at least a good minute with your fingers. If the adhesive is clean, the heat should make it sticky again, if it is dirty, it will not matter. The dust will prohibit it from working properly.

Weirdly enough, after multiple times of pressing the glass back onto the adhesive and it failing to stick - I tried it last night and it's still holding firm. Odd. I'll keep your suggestions in mind though, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.