Early 2011 17" open box for $1700 worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I don't know much about open box stuff, but the 17" looks to be a steal...I would probably add an extra 4GB RAM, but what is the open box policy? Used? Damaged? They don't say on your link!

3. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah that has me concerned too. I'm wondering if it would be better for me to go with the 15" new and get that full warranty and peace of mind that it's new.

4. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

Go new IMO

5. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sounds good to me too. I did some research and Microcenter's open box products really don't go through a rigorous testing phase like Apple does with their returns (which do become refurbs).

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

No warranty with the 17"? Don't go there, get the 15" now I see why it's so cheap.

7. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It says the balance of manufacturer's warranty applies but I have no clue when that is. It was released early 2011 so the remaining warranty can range anywhere from 1-11 months.

Also, no clue to why customer returned it! But, price-wise, deal is pretty good.

8. Apok macrumors regular

Talk to Microcenter. In my dealings with them they have always been more than fair and good knowledgeable folks to deal with. Just call up their customer service and ask what the deal is. Could very well be an open box because of buyers remorse.

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

They wouldn't sell it if It didn't work. Also, you can have apple adjust the warranty to a full one year, just fax them the receipt.

10. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

It's still a good deal. With the money you save you can afford to buy Applecare, so maybe it's a little soon to rule it out altogether. Suffice it to say that my 17" with 8GB from Apple (UK prices) cost me one hell of lot more...:)

11. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Didn't think about this, is it possible?

edit: Nvm, saw some threads on it and it was possible. But, I'm just still a little weary of open box items since it is quite expensive.

12. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It is possible - Several members including me have had our open box item purchased date moved. You could get an AppleCare rep that says its impossible ask for a manager or hang up and call again.

Amazon Warehouse was selling the Feb 2011 17inch for 1717 - both of them were removed this morning.

If I buy open box I buy from an huge national chain - I want recourse if there is a problem.

13. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Haha, just realized that if I do want to carry it around one day, my backpack only fits up to 15" laptops. Just a thought in the back of my head.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

That is about the going price for a used MC725LL/A model. I have seen units with this same configuration going for equal money on other web stores. I would probably change out the hard drive since it's only a 5400 rpm model. You could add a 512 gb SSD for another $600 and make that bird really fly. I would verify first if it is a glossy or matte screen, depending on if you care about that feature. And verify the return policy always.

15. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Based on comments and another thread post here, the 15" is a high res anti glare but the 17" is glossy.

16. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Open box items are great deals. I bought an early 2011 mbp 13" s5 for $800. Fullwarranty, applecare etc. got mine at bestbuy that has the same 14 day return as apple.

17. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I ended up getting the 15". The 17" was a demo floor model and was beaten up on the bottom and had marks on the top case. However, it did have a full warranty since it was never registered. But, being the anal me, I wanted a new one and I am very much happy with my decision.