Early 2011 17" start up issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SOLLERBOY, Oct 25, 2012.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, My early 11 has been working fine until today when I try to boot it, The screen comes on and it bongs like normal but then the screen flashes off. I can hear the fan insie if I put my ear to it and the sleep light is constantly on.

I've forced it off by holding the power button and tried again a couple of times but it's the same.

Any help?

Thanks!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

There's a real chance that it is hardware failure since there is no display output but you can still try a few things.

Reset PRAM, Command-Option-P-R( release after 3 start up sounds)
    Try if it boots in Safe Mode. ( Hold shift key right after pressing on button)
    Hold the Option key while start up, does it show any disks?
    Run AHT (Apple Hardware Test)

Do you hear the hard disk when starting up, put your ear on the case, you should hear it.

You also can try to get it to start up in Target Disk Mode and connect it to your other Mac with Firewire cable and perform disk repair and permission repair.
    Or, put your other Mac in Target Disk Mode and connect with firewire cable and try if the MBP starts from the other Macs disk.

3. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

After a few attempts I got it going, I'm gonna run techtool deluxe and apple hardware test to see what it throws up. It was a very strange thing. Thanks for the help, I'm not sure I will be able to get it going again once I turn it off.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

AHT runs only after you shut it down.
    RAM test could reveal something.
    Try running a game, that could also point towards Graphic card problems.
    Strange you got it running again, maybe a loose connection somewhere.

5. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, It's been working perfectly although strangle hot the past couple of days, I also couldn't open the notification bar yesterday, I turned it on, it chimed and the screen went straight off. It did that about ten times, I tried it one last time and it did the same but then came back to life. Thanks for the info and help.!!:eek:

6. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to be working now. AHT came back with nothing. It's a bit weird still but at least it's working! Thanks!