Early 2011 2.2Ghz i7 15" Macbook Pro Startup Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Omek, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Omek macrumors regular

Hi. My early 2011 2.2Ghz i7 15" Macbook Pro makes a louder than usual startup noise right before the chime. I'm normally used to the cranking noise in my old mini, but I wasn't expecting it in this refurbished Macbook Pro. Is it maybe the superdrive or the hard drive that's creating it? I can't really emulate it through text...it's like "da nuhnuhnuh." One of my family members got a brand new 15" Macbook Pro (Late 2011), and her's makes the sound, but it's certainly not as loud as mine. I normally expect that sound to happen on the startup of a mini or a Macbook, but it just seems somewhat loud. If it's just the superdrive, then I'm fine with that, but if it's coming from the motherboard or something, I'm going to be a little more concerned.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's most likely the superdrive, as your Mac checks the drive to make sure there's not a boot disc in it.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Superdrives are not all identical - Apple fit drives from different suppliers will make different noises. The LG drive in my old MacBook was louder than the Panasonic (Matshita) drives in my other Macs have been for example.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it's probably the superdrive. if you're super concerned, post a video or sound byte and we'll tell you what it sounds like.