Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" - Mavericks - stuck on startup screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by had0ukenn, Jan 12, 2015.

1. had0ukenn macrumors member

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13"

- 16 gb ram
    - replaced HDD with SSD Samsung pro 840
    - running Mavericks

My problem currently is that my MacBook is stuck at the white loading screen with the animated loading icon. Before this happened, I was reading an article using text -to-speech and I noticed that the words were being skipped. I figured that my internet connection may be the problem, I ended up trying to restart my computer instead and noticed that it wouldn't do it even if I clicked on restart or shut down. I tried to shut the screen to see if it takes me back to the login menu but when I opened the Mac it was still on my desktop. Anyways, I tried to shut down the Mac holding the power button and when I started it up, the Mac is now stuck at the loading screen.

I was not doing any sort of OS installation or update, was just browsing websites with barely any programs running in the background.

I would like to be able to find a solution without having to do a clean install or losing my data. I don't have a time machine back up. I read that you can boot up to the OS X utilities via holding recovery buttons, could I do this and chose repair disk without losing any data?

Would love any advice you guys can give, thanks.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can boot into Recovery and try that.

If that doesn't work, use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X. This will not erase your data.

3. had0ukenn, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

had0ukenn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. So repairing disk and reinstalling os x won't delete my data at all? I've tried the safe boot method while holding the shift button but that isn't working.

Edit: I went into verifying the disk and it told me it was okay, so I didn't repair. I did the same thing with verifying permissions and repairing them. Now it seems my only option is to reinstall OS X, just don't want to lose any of my data or programs, could you tell me what I will lose if I do this? Thanks

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, it wouldn't.

5. had0ukenn thread starter macrumors member

Is there anyways I can make either a time machine backup or some sort of backup of my data before reinstalling the OS X ? I can access disk utilities via the Mac OS X utilities window in recovery.