[Early 2011] MacBook Pro 13" VS. 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KazeKrazy, May 10, 2011.

1. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

I'm going to be buying my Mac soon, and I really want to know if there is a huge difference between [either] 13" model compared to the 15". From what I see usually the only thing the 15" does significantly better is games and graphics intensive stuff. I am not going to be using this for games except for the occasional play around in RCT3. So speed wise, applications, web browsing, and other simple stuff like that, is it relatively fast? Would I be able to have open multiple apps at a time without system lag on [either] the 13"? Thanks in advanced for the replies! :D

[P.S - Screen size has no effect as I will be getting a monitor with it.]

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

15". Now where's my popcorn-this is going to be a fun thread :D.

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

If I post will you share that popcorn Eddy? :D

The 13 inch base model is not slow at all. If you aren't needing a better GPU for games, you'll be very happy with the performance. Find a store, and check them out first if thats possible.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Agreed. If you find that it slows down having a lot of stuff open, just buy 8GB RAM, pop that in, and the issue will disappear.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

Based on what you mentioned in your last thread, I would say that the 13" would have plenty of power.

6. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

That's a little unorthodox, isn't it? As long as someone doesn't reword my question and turn it into a lesson on why you don't need what you need, then we'll be good in this thread. And it's a little disappointing that you already expect a lot out of this thread.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Can't you read the signs? Don't go feeding the trolls :)

8. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

But feeding trolls is fun!!! They groan and don't squish you :)

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hey I didn't mean it in a bad way. You encourage good discussion.

Agreed.

10. KazeKrazy thread starter macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Reply Above ^^^

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

I went from a high end 11" 15" MBP to a base 13" and am OK with my decision. I work a lot in PS CS4, Nik software and Aperture 3.

My 15" 2011 was a replacement for my early 08" 2.5GHZ 15". The 13" is faster than my 2008 was. I had that for over 2 years, so was more used to that machine than my new 15". I have $1000 extra, a new 13" and a new wireless printer. The new QC 15" MBPs are amazing, but it was just too much computer for what I need it for.

I would rather sell it while it was worth more and buy a base 13". So when I decide to upgrade at some point, I won't take a hit on resale value too much on my 13".

I would go for the new 2011 honestly. I got mine for $1099 + free printer.

12. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Go for the 2011 13" MBP, and both the 13" and 15" are extremely fast machines, especially if you're accustomed to slow Windows.

I'm a high school student, and I use my MBP 13" in class; it holds all my notes, handouts, and text books, and toting it around is the easiest thing, and with the 13", I still have enough room on the desk for paper, etc. It's so cool sitting in class using a lap top (especially a Mac!) when all the others are still using text books and notebooks. Everyone at my school can use computers/iPads, but barely anyone takes advantage of the privilege.

I could have sworn you couldn't yet afford a MacBook Pro a couple days ago, but I guess things can change quickly. Thanks to my cool mom, I didn't have to pay for my MBP. I love her for that (and many other reasons, too). :)

EDIT: I should also mention that my mom was able to get a student discount from Apple. But, I'm not quite sure how she pulled that off. Maybe the sales associate she worked with was feeling generous during Christmas or maybe it's because she was buying it for a high school student?

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80