Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15" water spill/ logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mercuryguy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mercuryguy, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

mercuryguy macrumors member

mercuryguy

hey guys,
    Need some guidance.

I had water spill damage on my macbook pro 3 months ago and it seemed to work fine after that until now. Now, i'm getting the white screen of death randomly. Computer still works, turns on but I get the white screen. I have apple care and took it to Apple repair depot and they say it is "water damage" and won't cover "accidental damage".

Apple wants $1300 to fix it, same price range from apple authorized repairs around here in clearwater florida.

I'm thinking of using one of the repair service on ebay, like this one for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macbook-pro...890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4611001192

I wanted to ask if any one of you here have experience using ebay repair service? I don't want to get scammed and ripped off.
    Also, If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Cheers!

2. mercuryguy thread starter macrumors member

mercuryguy

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Rather then doing it through ebay i suggest you find a good repair shop around your area. That way you will be assured you would not be scammed.

4. mercuryguy thread starter macrumors member

mercuryguy

Thanks for the reply.
    None of the shops around here want to do for anything less than 1000.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

1000 bucks wow! Well if ebay is the cheaper alternative ensure that you have some kind of protection in case you ship your lappy there and they do not ship back.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Worth looking into.. I think..

I have mentioned them here before, and will again.. These guys seem to have Very Reasonable prices and turn-around times vs Apple alternatives.. I have absolutely NO history with them, but have seen a few Good Reviews.. :cool:

http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html

Definitely worth looking at if you DO want to Fix/Keep your computer.. I think.. Good Luck!! :apple:

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

These problems can surface over time. If it's anything but water, it's a guarantee, although water will do that too. What spilled, and did you unplug everything or later clean the insides with isopropyl? Things can eventually fail to due water damage or fail due to corrosion after the fact. Either one happens. $1300 certainly isn't worth it. At that point you might as well just pick up a refurbished unit and sell this one listed not working.