Early 2011 MacBook Pro 16GB Memory Test Failed:mad:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LinuxHack3r, Jul 28, 2012.

1. LinuxHack3r macrumors newbie

I have the early 2011 MacBook Pro, 13", 2.7Ghz. I have been running 8GB of memory for a while now. However, yesterday I installed the following Corsair memory into my MacBook Pro:

Corsair 16GB

I first ran Memtest86, booted from a cdrom. It failed within roughly 5 minutes. I then booted into Mountain Lion, and tried Rember. It failed quickly as well. I switched the memory sticks (slot 1 to slot 2, slot 2 to slot 1) and have since ran rember and memtest again. Rember failed on the 7th test, and I booted into single user mode to run memtest (not Memtest86). I am not sure when it failed, because I couldn't figure out how to scroll up, but I can say that tests #1,#2,#3,#10,#9,and #8 were successful. Is there someway I can pull up the log from the memtest that I ran? "memtest all 10" is the command I ran.

I do not know if perhaps one of the sticks just wasn't seated properly, or if one of them just didn't like the slot the first time around. I just find it so strange that I can go from failing within 5 minutes to going for hours without failure.

Am I foolish for expecting to be able to run 10 tests without error? If I had picked the number 5 I would be much happier feeling right now. I bought it from Amazon. I do know that Corsair makes "Mac" memory, and I also know that this model MacBook isn't guaranteed to work with 16GB. However, I read a lot of the reviews on Amazon and there were many 5 star reviews for this memory/MacBook Pro combination.

What should I do? Anyone have experience with RMA Amazon memory? I still have the 8GB. However, I never ran any tests on the 8GB and currently the 16GB shows just as good performance with virtual machines/etc.

I suppose the right thing to do would be to remove one stick, run the test. If it passes, place that stick in the other slot and run the test again. Then repeat with the other stick. But should I run each of those tests to the #10?

Please, I would like any advice possible. What should I do?

----------

Also, how can I scroll up/down page up/down in CLI single user mode?

2. pooprscooper macrumors regular

Yea test each stick individually. If only one is bad, then you know it's just a bad set of ram. RMA it and get a new set. It happens every once in awhile.

3. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

But how many should I run? Is 10 a good number since apparently it fails on this number? Also, it is possible of course that the replacement will do the same, right? Should I have purchased the Corsair "Mac" memory? I didn't because the "Mac" version had a few reviews, several of them bad, and the memory I ordered had many, many good reviews.

4. pooprscooper macrumors regular

You just got a bad batch. It's highly unlikely that's you'll get another bad set.

Here's some stats from 2011 on the hardware failure rate for memory:

• Kingston 0,30% (contre 0,37%)
    • Crucial 0,93% (contre 0,78%)
    • Corsair 1,41% (contre 1,66%)
    • G.Skill 2,73% (contre 1,53%)
    • OCZ 6,76% (contre 2,76%)
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/list-of-hardware-failure-rates/

5. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I will do this but I am concerned that either my CPU, logic board, or memory controller is either bad/going bad or simply cannot handle 16GB of memory. When I rma the memory I will put the 2x4GB back in and memtest it.

----------

Any stats on any of those computer parts going bad?

----------

And for this model mac...which specifically would be the best tool for me to use and the most accurate.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Thats a good plan, the first step I'd take.

I wouldn't worry about your other hardware until you've tested the computer with the Apple RAM installed.

Memtest86+ works for me, it can actually address all of your RAM instead of just 2GB chunks.

7. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I sold the "original" Apple memory on Ebay over a year ago. That is when I purchased the 2x4GB Corsair sticks. However I never ran Memtest of either of those sets.

I recently installed the 16GB kit.

I am about to start Memtestx86 on the first stick, and suppose that I will remove the first stick and place in in slot two tomorrow.

On Amazon, there is something along the lines of a review claiming that this memory has trouble staying seated in Macs, thus why they have the Mac brand. If I happen to RMA this memory to Amazon and have the option of selecting a different set altogether, what would you guys recommend as being the one I should go with?

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I doubt it has trouble staying seated. It may just be a minor issue with the RAM timing or even a bad stick. If you can narrow it down using memtest86, you'll be able to make that call.

I've used Corsair several times, and I've also used G.Skill memory. Haven't had a problem with either.

9. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Just finished putting the first stick through 10 memtest's of both slots. Too bad it takes nearly 10 hours per set of 10 tests:( All of them passed. As soon I shutdown my machine I will be swapping the memory sticks and starting the next round of tests. My fear is that the next stick will pass in both slots. If this is the case, does that mean my Mac just isn't cut out for handling 16GB? I remember something about individual memory controllers and stuff just not being able to keepup with others.

Hopefully this stick will fail fail fail. In that case, an RMA should have me good. Please provide me with some insight into this.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Try resetting PRAM and SMC and then redo the tests.

11. Verloc macrumors member

I have the same model, and had trouble when upgrading to 8GB of Corsair. After swapping the Corsair for Crucial I had no more problems (kernel panics).

12. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already reseated the memory once when I swapped it. The first stick passed the tests in both slots. The second stick just failed the test in the first (bottom) slot. I just reseated it into the second (top) slot. I am going to assume this one is bad.

If one was going to purchase the highest possible quality memory, which brand would that be? I really like the $100 price point, but give me the consensus.

Running 2nd stick slot 2 now!

13. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

Best possible for MAC is OWC without any doubts

14. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

The 2nd stick consistently failed both banks 1 and 2. I was very happy with my 8GB of Corsair, so I think I will attempt to swap this bad kit out for another Corsair 16GB kit. I really hope that it works this time around.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Corsair makes good memory, it sounds like you simply got a bad stick in that one kit. It happens sometimes. Go ahead and read the reviews on Amazon, I think most of them will agree.

16. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I put the Corsair 2x4GB sticks back in and ran memtest overnight. They passed all 10 tests. Which brings me back to one of my original questions. How many tests should I run when I get the replacement memory? Is 10 probably enough?What is the typical number someone runs when they are verifying memory?

17. arashb macrumors 6502

Amazon's return policy is beautiful as long as you buy directly from Amazon, or if they fulfill it.

Reviews are good on those RAM sticks, don't be afraid to return yours and buy another set again from Amazon, if those are bad they'll let you refund yet again. They send you a shipping label and everything, just drop it off at UPS.

Once I returned a used screen protector just to see if they would accept it, and they did.

18. biohead macrumors 6502

To be honest, 2 tests is probably enough.

I had a similar problem when I bought 2x8GB Vengeance sticks. One turned out to be duff - funnily enough it passed memory tests, but couldn't handle bringing the MBP out of sleep and would either KP or completely freeze up.

19. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Amazon's return policy is rather quite swell. I am able to receive my new memory tomorrow via UPS, and as long as I return the old memory via UPS with their prepaid shipping, they will not charge me.

I wish two tests were enough, but let it be noted that the faulty stick itself was able to pass two tests without issue. I suppose my better question was if ten tests was ENOUGH.

Before I left work Friday I through my work machine into a MemtestX86 just for kicks and giggles. I came back this morning and it had passed 38 tests and then told me tests successful and had stopped at that number.

I will update once I get my new sticks installed. I really wish to like Corsair, I have always been satisfied with them in the past.

20. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

The new memory came in yesterday. Might I once again speak of how awesome Amazon prime is? Been running Memtest86+ for almost 15 hours now, so far so good! I don't know how long I should let it run, but I am thinking of about lunchtime restarting the test and letting it do the "bit fade" option.

Or should I just go home, reboot my Mac, and enjoy:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Memtest is good. Note that Corsair gets some complaints on newegg/amazon of new sticks failing memtest. All of those 2011s can handle 16GB. It's just a quality control thing as far as I can tell, but you did the smart thing and tested it right after installation. Many people don't do this. I always encourage it.

You're more obsessive on testing than me. If you've won the dimm lottery this time, I would just reboot and enjoy.

22. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps. The funny thing is that I never ran Memtest on the older 2x4GB Corsair I had. Never got around to it, never thought about it.

When I purchased the 2x8GB this time around, I just "felt" the need to run Memtest on it. Glad I did! That prompted me to run Memtest on the older pair. As noted above, it passed flawlessly.

So I supppose now I am just uber paranoid:eek: about buying new memory...