Early 2011 MacBook Pro Hard Drive Repeatedly Corrupts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MaxMike, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

MaxMike macrumors 6502

Back in November, my MBP was running sluggish so when I ran Disk Utility it said the disk was corrupted. I thought no big deal, I upgraded to Lion so it probably has to get redone. After restoring from my Lion disk (twice by the way since restoring from Time Machine messed up some files somewhere and the Genius said I had to restore again). Now, it seems like my MBP is starting to have the same symptoms. Run Disk Utility, lo and behold, "The disk cannot be repaired. Back up files and restore from your Mac OS X installation disc." This is pretty frustrating since my laptop was bought on the first day of the Sandy Bridge models (about a year ago exactly) and I paid for the high end model. Should I go to the Genius Bar and suggest my hard drive is failing? I bought AppleCare so I'm covered until 2014. Thanks for any help with this.

2. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Get AppleCare to replace your hard drive. There is no question that the hard drive is failing.

3. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Now it's weird because since that last Disk Utility run, I restarted and it seemed fine. And I just ran it to verify the disk just now and it says the volume is OK. Something weird is going on here :confused:

4. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Maybe you need to call a priest!

:D

Some electronics fail under thermal stress, cool down, and then work fine (until they heat up enough). I’d definitely get it replaced if possible, that kind of flaky operation isn’t right.

5. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Today I tried to run the hardware test from my applications DVD and it ended up freezing on what I'm guessing was the last part of it. The timer of how long the test had elapsed stopped and I could not stop the test. I ended up having to do a hard shutdown to end the test. I'm at the store now so. Guess I'll see what the guy at the Geniusd Bar will say. Disk Utility still says volume is OK.