Early 2011 Macbook Pro keyboard backlighting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjoshua, Jan 25, 2012.

1. macjoshua macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm wondering if maybe my keyboard's backlighting isn't working properly. If I have it on, it stays on pretty much all the time - whether I have lights on or not (and yes, it's set to automatically detect light). It's been that way since I got it. But, this morning, I decided to see if the sensor was working in the camera, so I shined a light into the iSight, and the keyboard backlight turned off immediately. Is the sensor maybe just not sensitive enough?
  2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2011
    Somewhere in Europe
    I think it's pretty sensitive but maybe it depends on the kind of light.

Mine always stays on when I'm in a room with the lights on, no matter how bright they are.

But the other day I was at my parents house and they have an all-glass wall and when I woke up in the morning the sun was shining in and the keyboard lights wouldn't turn on.

I have no idea if there are different kinds of light but apparently mine reacted to sunlight and not normal lights.
  3. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2011
    that is weird. my 2008 macbook pro switched without any problems - regardless of the kind of light, it just came on when the room was dark, and turned off when it wasn't.
  4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2011
    early 2011 17".

On mine it seems to depend on the temperature of the color coming into contact with the light sensor.

For example, when I have my LED desk lamp on, which is very bright white, the backlight won't turn on, but if I leave it to my fluorescent ceiling lights, it'll usually let me turn it on.

Also, if I need to, I can hold my hand over the sensor momentarily and then it'll light up and the backlight will usually stay on.