Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
My early 2011 MacBook Pro won't turn on today for some reason. It was fine last night when I put it to sleep but this morning there is no indication of activity.

• The MagSafe is green but the battery lights do not come on when pressed.
  • No other peripherals are plugged in.
  • Attempted to reset the SMC, nothing.
  • Put in the original RAM (note: I've used the upgraded RAM for several months). Nothing.

Should I just suck up the 70 mile trip to the Apple Store?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Yes, if it's hardware related you need professional advice. Could be anything, really.
When you try to turn it on, do you hear anything (fans, HDD)?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Yes, if it's hardware related you need professional advice. Could be anything, really.
When you try to turn it on, do you hear anything (fans, HDD)?
Nothing at all. And the MagSafe won't light up now. Decided to call AppleCare in the mean time.

intelssd

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
My MBP wouldnt turn on once and i think it was because the back metal plate wasnt seated right.. when you tighten those back 10 screws or what not softly snug them then tighten the center first then outward. Make sure you use the right ones in the right holes two.. some of the short screws all fully threaded and some are not. The deeper looking holes can use the screws that are not fully threaded. But ya, check the ram is in right again too or seated perfect.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Took it to the Apple Store and they fixed it within about 15 minutes. Apparently the SMC was just borked. They had to remove to the battery, plug it in, do a reset and then it worked fine. Works like a champ now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.