Early 2011 MBP 13' SMS and aftermarket HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cammykool, Aug 21, 2014.

1. cammykool macrumors regular

My MacBook has killed 3 hard drives in the past month (WD 750gb 7200RPM drives) so a friend of mine gave me the old 320gig segate drive from his Lenovo ThinkPad laptop to try it with. the drive is in there and 10.9.4 is installed but should i disable the Sudden Motion Sensor? is that whats killing these drives? ive had it OFF it is now on again due to the re-install... should i turn it off again or keep it on with the different drive? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends on the HDD model. Some HDDs have their own version of shock protection, which conflicts with the SMS, but HDDs without such mechanism will work fine with SMS.

In System Information you can look the model number up under Hardware > Serial-ATA > MODEL. Either post that here or use Google (select the model characters and right click) to find out yourself.

3. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

its updating something ill post when its done. the crappy thing is the stock apple/Hitachi(?) drive runs solid a s a rock BUT is crazy slow at only 5400RPM this is a segate somethingorother

4. simsaladimbamba

What about getting an SSD then? 250 GB can be had for 120€ or something like that.

5. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

i was thinking about it but these 2 i was given were free from my CompSci teacher

[​IMG]

there is the data on the drive.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

7. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

8. simsaladimbamba

9. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

any ideas on my HDD?

----------

it seems like it has a sms like feature in it

10. simsaladimbamba

The ST9320424AS (you could have just copied it instead of a screenshot, text is selectable and copyable in System Information) is the Momentus model with shock system (AS - And Shock or something), and as the only HDD I bought for my MacBook Pro back then was a Momentus model, I read, that AS models are not recommended for SMS enabled MBPs. Therefore I got the non AS model and fared well for quite some time, it is now my secondary HDD in my MBP to store data on and to backup the SSD in there.

11. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

so i should turnn it off?

12. simsaladimbamba

You can give it a try, but as far as I remember, it might still need to conflict. Why don't you use "ST9320424AS sudden motion sensor" as search terms and find out some more?