Early 2011 MBP 15 -2000 mA power draw

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lingo124, Oct 16, 2012.

1. lingo124 macrumors newbie

Is anybody experiencing the same issue of around -2000 mA power draw on ML according to the system utilities? It now lasts 3:30 on battery instead of the 7:00 it used to get. I don't even know why it started because it just randomly started doing this. I don't know why my computer is using up that much power. My cpu shows about 95% or more idle. Is this a problem with a file being corrupt or what?

Thanks.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

It doesn't get to 95% unless it's doing something. So find out what something, and maybe u can tell it to, only do that when on AC power.

3. lingo124 thread starter macrumors newbie

No i mean the cpu is at least 95% idle most of the time. There's only about 5% cpu usage shared between User, System, and Nice according to my system stats toolbar thing.

4. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

you get 7 hours?? how most i get is 2:50 with just web browsing

5. lingo124 thread starter macrumors newbie

Used to get 7 =/. Check the power draw using the system information power tab (apple -> system information -> power). if i can recall a regular running macbook pro draws about 1000 when on near full brightness and web browsing. Also check your activity monitor for cpu hogging apps.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Something has got to be running in the background. (Probably the Flash player plugin that runs within the browser... or Java... or something else... including animated GIFs...)

How many browser windows do you have open at any given time?

Have you ran your MBP with no apps running?

Or with Activity Monitor running?

2:50 seems very low, just for web browsing...

7. lingo124 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call. I have youtube in one of my inactive tabs thats probably why. Will check if my battery life goes up. Wouldn't the flash plugin use up cpu though so it should show up in the activity monitor?