Early 2011 MBP and HD Skype

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twaize, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Twaize macrumors member

For HD cameras to work on Skype, they need to support hardware decoding. Does anyone know whether the HD cameras in the new MBP computers support hardware decoding? Or whether they work with Skype (in HD) anyway?

Thank you

2. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

I found this:

Skype for Mac
    The current version of Skype for Mac (version 5.0) does not support HD webcams. Any video calls made through the new MacBook Pro's in Mac OS X will be in standard-definition.

Skype for Windows
    The current version of Skype for Windows (version 5.1) does support HD webcams at broadcasts in 720p, however the new MacBook Pro's HD webcams are not supported. We partitioned the MacBook Pro's hard drive and installed Windows 7 and Skype for Windows; broadcasts were limited to standard-definition. The Dell XPS 17's HD webcam does broadcast in Skype for Windows in HD; its video was larger (16:9 aspect ratio) and sharper (1280-by-720.)

Shame :(

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

since you did some research on this already, any idea when/if hd will be supported on skype?

4. eaf7s macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I could not care less. HD meand jack **** over my embarrassingly bad Virgin Media connection. And my boyfriend's equally awful stop & go Insight.

5. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, no. As far as I know, Skype has made no announcements for HD on OS X. However, that it doesn't work on windows can both the driver, or because it doesn't support hardware encoding, in which case, it might never work :(.

If you've nothing useful to post, at least don't make it trash. You add nothing, you just detract on our perception of your mental strength.

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Does standard video even work for you correctly? Mine keeps crapping out after 20-30 minutes on the new 2011 MBP. Just get scrambled voices and artifacts in the video.

7. eaf7s macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Aren't you big and bad! Point of that post was that for a lot of internet connections, the HD over skype simply will not make a difference.

But congratulations on being a smartass Internet bully. I'll forgive you on the assumption that you are compensating for a serious lack of real-world relationships. Otherwise you probably wouldn't be commentating on my intelligence for complaining about my service provider which promises 50 megs and delivers about 10, often rendering skype VOIP impossible from England to the US, let alone video chat. But I might drop out of university now that I've been informed of my inferior mental strength :(

8. applejobs macrumors newbie

So how can Apple do FaceTime HD but skype can't? This is really strange. I guess there is nothing stopping me hooking up an external webcam to MBP though.

9. gramw macrumors member

I bet its not that bad. Do a speed test

10. eaf7s macrumors regular

Do them every day. Problem is, they're WAY oversubscribed in the Bristol area because of all of the students. The worst part is that it comes and goes. Most of the time, it hovers around 12mbps. Often--2/3 hours per day maybe--it'll be like 1mbps dl .01 upload. Terrible. Then like once a week I notice it's stellar and about 35.

Like I said though, the main issue is that it comes and goes, and it's not our modem/router/computers. I might have 35 one minute and a completely dropped call + practically no Internet the next. Normally cannot even hold a VOIP call where they can understand me.

11. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

So... When you start swearing, I'm supposed to take you seriously? What you did was unload garbage, not offer useful critique. More than that, I asked whether or not the new 2011 MBP iSight supports HD in skype, not whether people had problems with their internet connection. It might not matter to you, but I do care.

12. eaf7s macrumors regular

Sorry, I didn't realize I needed to start a new thread about bad skype quality a la Virgin. Also sorry it would've taken a half second out of your clearly busy day to skip over my post. Pedant.

13. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

Whether or not I had time to read your post is irrelevant. Thread hijacking and spurting rage is not nice for anyone. It's good manners and common courtesy I'm trying to instill in you.

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

Because Skype has developed a terrible client and disregarded all of the feedback they received from users during beta.

15. SeniorGato1 macrumors regular

While I can't answer this questions directly, I can confirm that Logitech's C510 HD camera works fine with a 2 yr old MBP. I can select between builtin webcam and Logitech via the Video settings.