Early 2011 MBP bottom cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Mar 14, 2012.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I scratched the bottom cover really badly...thankfully nothing happened to the other parts of the body. How much could I get a new one for? It's for the 15"

cheers

2. shootist macrumors regular

The only place you can get one is from Apple so you would need to call your local service center to find out the price and availability.

3. allieverything macrumors member

eBay has them for much cheaper depending on the grade

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You guys think I can get genius bar to replace it? When I first got it it had some minor scuffs on the bottom (brand new from apple store)

5. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well then yes you can

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I got it late 2011 in Sept... They'll probably say why I hadn't brought it in then.

Was out of the country, maybe that will be a good excuse.

7. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Yeah that will most likely work.but I would feel guilty about lying....

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

LOL at that price for a piece of aluminium!

There's no way you're going to convince Apple to replace/repair it for you. It's purely cosmetic damage, and not even where you are likely to see it. "it came with scratches when I bought it 8 months ago" isn't going to wash well. How is it scratched so much anyway?

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

If it was an initial defect it should have been taken back to Apple immediately. Here we are eight months later. I think you may have waited too long and would be very lucky if they believed your story. Integrity is a much more valuable commodity than a MBP. Just my .02 worth.

10. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

11. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Holy #@$#$! I was expecting to follow the link and see it for $50 or maybe $75 or so. $200!

12. srshaw macrumors 6502

I took my first macbook pro to the genius bar. Carried it safely in my stm rucksack. The guy just took it and slapped it on the desk upside down.

I'd just spent a small fortune on that and it was a few days old, It wasn't the way I would treat it.

Luckily it was going back anyway since it was faulty.

13. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I had gotten the Mac and one day later had to get on a plane from LA to the UK. I've been back to the states since January, but haven't had time to take it in.

It was scratched on the bottom, looked like a factory scratch rather than a human one. Like a small line in the middle of it.

Saw this one...doesn't seem Genuine, though. No Apple type on the bottom.

Maybe I should just live with it. It's perfect besides the bottom.

14. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Despite the varying opinions on these boards as soon as I unboxed my MBP I put it in an Incase Hardshell Perforated case. No problems with dirt, dust, or grit and it still looks brand new. I also religiously remove the case twice a month and do a good wipe down all around and inside both the case and the MBP.

You seem like a guy that takes care of his equipment. Even though it's after the fact have you considered a case?

https://goincase.com/m/#product/CL57469

15. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I had an incase softcase on my 2008 MBP and it scratched the top lid with the zipper (even though it's "supposed" to be designed in such a way that it won't scratch in laptop)...

So after that, I vowed not to ever put it in any case. I'm very careful and there are zero scratches so far. I always keep it in my bag when I travel (which is quite often) but the bottom scratches are here to stay unfortunately :(