Early 2011 MBP Dead battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seangee, Dec 7, 2012.

1. seangee macrumors newbie

The battery om my 15" MBP (10.7.5) which is in daily use has suddenly died with no warning. Yet earlier this week it happily ran a server in a VM for over 4 hours on battery.

Battery Status reports Condition: Replace Now

Profiler reports
    Code:
      Charge Information:
      Charge Remaining (mAh):	6336
      Fully Charged:	Yes
      Charging:	No
      Full Charge Capacity (mAh):	6336
      Health Information:
      Cycle Count:	144
      Condition:	Replace Now
      Battery Installed:	Yes
      Amperage (mA):	0
      Voltage (mV):	8441
    The Magsafe adaptor light is green.

IStat Pro reports a battery health of 92% and agrees with Profiler's cycle count and charge status. If I disconnect the power supply I get an immediate power down. I have tried an SMC reset but it made no difference.

Anyone had similar experience and able to advise whether my battery really has just died or whether its a glitch that can be fixed without a battery replacement?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Something is wrong with your battery. Do you have AppleCare?

3. Idefix macrumors 6502

Make an appointment at a Genius Bar and see what they say...

4. seangee thread starter macrumors newbie

Posted because I'm currently house bound following surgery. If it really s the battery I'd be disappointed but realise it happens and will just buy a new one.

I wanted to hear if anyone had similar experiences and the problem wasn't really the battery and wouldn't want to replace it and still have the problem. I find it strange that a battery could drop from 4 hours to 0 seconds in the space of a few days.

It's also a bit strange that I left the machine unplugged overnight. When I turned it on this morning the battery showed 96% but it made no attempt to charge it. Its still showing 96% 6 hours later.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Cant hurt to take into Apple store if you are close to one. Also I recommend only an official battery from Apple.