Early 2011 MBP electric noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rotenon, May 31, 2013.

1. rotenon, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

rotenon macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and am in need of your wisdom. Lately I have started to notice a annoying sound coming from my mbp 15 inch 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7. It is high frequency, electric sounding, quiet, continuous, and auscultating. It doesnt change if I move the computer around. You can hear it here: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0y9IQLMsvIM (the louder nonauscultating sound is probably from the processor?)
    Its origin is somewhere from the left part of the computer - It is certainly not comming from the HDD. Im guessing its from the mainboard, the processor maybe? The primary disk is a SSD and the Optical drive has been replaced with the original HDD in a caddy. Also the 2x 2 GB RAM has been replaced with 1x4GB RAM.

Any ideas what is causing this sound? And what can be done about it? The computer is still covered by extended warranty.

2. rotenon thread starter macrumors newbie

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Since AppleCare is still valid, you should be calling them for help or scheduling an appointment at the nearest Apple Store.

Put it back to its stock config before you bring it in. In fact, I would do so anyway to see if the problem is caused by one or more of your modifications.

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

seems like typical hard drive hum sounds. hard drives will buzz/resonate an audible sound if not mounted securely or too tightly. because of the spinning platters.

I'd remove the Optibay mod and see if the sound is present....if not then reseat and refasten the hdd so its not too tight and not loose, if you can find small sticky pads to to use between the HDD and the top case you can dampen any sound and it wont be a problem.