Early 2011 MBP gpu failure, going for the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TexasChemE, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Well. I'm out of warranty period, and my AMD gpu on my 15" 2011 MBP just went out. So im my thinking about just shelling out the extra for the rMBP now. I'm thinking about the 13" rMBP with the new Haswell processor. How do the speeds of the new Haswell compare to my 2.0 GHz core i7?

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks can help you.

Single Core 32-bit scores
    Haswell 2.8 i7: 2988
    Haswell 2.6 i5: 2838
    Haswell 2.4 i5: 2661
    Your 2.0 i7: 2249

Multi Core 32-bit scores
    Haswell 2.8 i7: 6062
    Haswell 2.6 i5: 5860
    Haswell 2.4 i5: 5476
    Your 2.0 i7: 8271

For single-core tasks, between 18 and 33% faster.
    For multi-core tasks, up to 25-33% slower, but that will depend on how many threads are executing simultaneously. If the task only executes a couple of threads, then the Haswell will be faster.

3. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Cheers! In your opinion, would it be worth it do "downgrade" to the 13"? I currently don't run many processes that are very CPU intensive (just an engineering student), but I often run parallels while working.

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

It really depends on the type of multitasking you do and the programs you run... If you are running complex physics modelling, or audio/video encoding or other processes that use significant CPU cycles for long periods of time, you might notice a slowdown going to the 13", especially if you are using more than one of those processes at once.

If you use the computer for common uses like browsing, watching videos, listening to music, and working on school work in Office or iWork type programs, you probably won't notice the 13" being a "downgrade".

What are you running through parallels? The fact that you are emulating another OS for some program or programs will use CPU and memory resources.

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Jeebus! Another one? Several a day have been popping up on the Apple forums.

Will it boot at all?

6. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I appreciate your help. The main programs I run on Parallels are MATLAB for computations and programming and Aspen Plus for plant simulations.

----------

not at all. It did the first day, but it hasn't for two days

7. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I noticed that too. If you google "Early 2011 MacBook Pro discrete graphics" there are several links on the first page to articles detailing the dGPU failing regularly on this model.

Make sure to report it to Apple, and maybe the news sites as well. Apple might do the right thing and decide to cover this even on systems that aren't covered under AppleCare.

----------

I'm not familiar with them but they sound potentially CPU intensive. Do you do much else while using them? Would you consider booting into Windows under BootCamp to help them run faster?

Someone with experience with those specific programs and a dual-core system would have to tell you how they perform under Parallels or BootCamp.

8. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I've reported it to Apple already. I've been following a couple of posts as well on the Apple forums.

As for MATLAB and Aspen, when I'm using these on my laptop, none of the calculations are pretty intensive. Whenever I run these, it's usually in class, so these are the only things running 90% of the time

9. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

If you can get it to boot in shell and move the AMD drivers to the desktop, you might get it to boot using the integrated. It works for some folks, but not everyone. As described in the comment section of this article:

10. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Just tried this, didn't work

11. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

I'm sorry. That's really a bummer.

I'd be inclined to hold onto it for a little while rather than selling it as a parts machine just yet. The articles that AlecMyrddyn mentions above were just published these past few weeks. In other words, it has only been a few weeks since this issue has evolved from discussion forums to known tech writers. It could prove to be a tipping point. IMHO, Apple will either make a move very soon or never.

12. Swampus, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Aye. And one of those recent articles links right back to the Apple discussion forums, so that could also explain the sudden spike of reports. Still, every day, new people are posting that it just happened to them.
    Maybe. I hope so. If not, I think a lot of old timers will take it as a signal of a changing philosophy at Apple. It's doubtful that Apple sees it as a matter of right or wrong, though (Not really a statement about Apple. We just don't live in that world anymore). It's more a cost-benefit analysis of short-term losses vs protection of the brand name and long-term consumer trust sort of thing. In the past, Apple has always erred a bit on the side of protecting their good name. I'd like to see them continue that philosophy because it sets them apart from the others just a little bit. And, well, I really like their products too.

13. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I'm holding out at least until the end of the week. The issue is that I'm pretty dependent on my laptop for my school work... But I do plan on keeping MBP, so if Apple does decide to do something after I get a rMBP, then I can sell on my 15"

14. zopiro macrumors member

Mine just went out too. Late 2011 MBP, discrete AMD 6770M. Video glitches started in july, probably with an SMC update. I'm using gfxcardstatus to limit video card switching.

There are indeed a LOT of people with 2011 Macbook Pros having their discreted video cards failing in this exact period. What could explain that?

It's like we bought (very expensive) notebooks with a 2-year expiration date.

Will Apple do the right thing?

15. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

My best guess is that it's caused by poor quality solder subjected to high temperatures over multiple thermal cycles. Eventually fractures start to form in the soldered connections of the GPU to the board.

I don't know if "this exact period" is really the case. Problems have been reported for well over a year. But the frequency of reports does seem to have increased over the past couple of months. One would certainly hope that we're seeing the peak now.

Maybe. They have in the past. As mentioned above, it has only been a few weeks since this issue has caught the attention of some tech writers. That might put a little more fire under Apple's feet.

If they don't, I think the most appealing solution would be a reball (not reflow!) using lead based solder. Something like this.

But my advice for now would be to wait a little longer to see if Apple makes a move. And if it's working well on the HD3000, I'd do more than "limit switching". I'd lock it down.

16. zopiro macrumors member

There might be something to do with gradual deterioration. Somehow most people who have the problem are in the 2-year range.

People are getting really angry in the Apple forums. There are petitions going on, there are sites with survey trying to figure out how this could happen. And my best guess is that in the next two months there will be a massive amount of users with recent problems.

It's the consensus of a vast majority that this is a defect, not misuse. There are literally thousands of people in the forums complaining about the same issue at the same time.

Can I suggest that this subject be a sticky post here?

17. mau5FN macrumors newbie

I'm sorry that I can't really provide much input on the rMBP, but I have an early 2011 that died in early October. Did the flat rate repair and sent it to Apple. I've have it back for just a month now and my MBP is dead again with a GPU problem. I can't even get it to boot from a USB or install disk. Now, I'm trying to contact Apple because I'm within the 90 days from repair period, but when I call the number provided on my repair form, I'm prompted that I have to pay to speak with a representative......trying to get in touch with an Apple store to get the issue fixed.

18. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Let us know how it all ends up with your situation. I wound up cutting my losses and getting a 13'' rMBP.

19. Binomio macrumors member

This issue is actually very common, Apple hasn't said anything to AASPs, though their logic board repair places aren't keeping up with the increased volume.

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I was a former owner of this model too and i'm increasingly glad i ditched it. Warranty was gonna run out in March and didn't want to be screwed once that happens. Got a 15 rMBP to replace it.

21. undesign macrumors regular

My 2011 MBP with the AMD 6750M died last week. It's going to cost me Just over $600 CAD after taxes to replace the logic board. It's a lot of money but at least its not over $1,000 as I thought it would be.

Still, seeing how so many people are getting screwed with this, it almost seems as if there should be a recall or something.