Early 2011 MBP Keyboard and mouse gone haywire

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ivabign, May 30, 2012.

1. Ivabign, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Let me preface this by stating that my MBP MC700LLA hasn't left my desk - it may be portable, but that wasn't the plan - it is a home computer - it only travels from room to room in my house. It is pristine, never dropped - never bumped - looks as new.

It was purchased 13 months ago.

Today my keyboard stopped letting me input text. Also my mouse (wireless logitech) doesn't know the difference between left and right button input. It also magnifies the desktop if I use the scroll wheel. If I reboot the computer, the left and right buttons word as expected until I press a key on the keyboard - then it is if I have two right buttons.

My cap lock button works - at least it lights up..

A USB keyboard works fine - I scheduled a Genius appt today and the store was a tad busy - an employee came up and said a Mac guy would be a few minutes, then he stated he would help me. He hooked up another HDD and it didn't help - so he stated it was a hardware issue - he didn't do anything else, from there he quoted me almost $200 to fix something - he couldn't tell me what - just replace the entire upper case.

Is there anyone out there that knows an answer that doesn't include the wholesale replacment of the upper case?

I'll also be honest here - In the last couple of years I have bought 4 iPhones, 2 iPod touches, an Ipad2 and a few nanos - all connected to the same apple ID - it was these items that led me to try a Mac.

I have had 10 or so Windows laptops over the years (HP/Compaq/Toshiba)and I don't know how many desktops and never had a major problem with them - no hard drive crashes - no blank screens - I treat my equipment with respect - It's expensive. I did have to replace a keyboard on one of my Toshiba laptops once - $13 on ebay and a half hour and it was as new. But $200?

I had hoped that instead of a kid with zero customer service skills - I might get a Genius that could come up with a better answer than "sorry dude."

I know I'll hear that I should have bought applecare - but $250?? I understand if the computer was going to be in a briefcase and bounced around. I guess I was lulled into believing that computers if taken care of, they hold up. Also if something common broke, it could be repaired without taking out a loan. Not a Mac.

I'm venting - I'm also using my son's old HP nc6230 from 2006 (a hand-me down from Dad) - it works like a charm.

2. theBostonian Suspended

If I were you I'd go to another Apple Store and explain to the genius what you just said here:

And furthermore that you've only had it 13 months.

They should, if they're compassionate, fix it for free. This has been my experience with iPhones but I have AppleCare for my MBP.

Good luck!