Early 2011 MBP - Logic Board problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ana.la, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ana.la macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have an early 2011 13 MBP and I'm hoping you guys can help me.
    Recently, I've had two problems with my MBP and I'm not even sure both are connected but anyway, here's what happened:
    I was using my MBP when out of nowhere it froze. I had to press the power button to turn it off, but then it wouldn't boot, instead all I would get was the blinking finder symbol with an interrogation mark. Since the HDD was still working and my MBP did boot when I was using it as an external drive, I figured the problem was with the SATA Cable, so I bought a new one and it worked for about a week.
    Then came my second problem. Again, I was using it and suddenly I started having some problems with the Trackpad (the cursor was moving on its own and even clicking). I tried restarting it, but then to my surprise it took over 15 minutes to boot and even then it was painfully slow, like unasable slow. Even if I was using my HDD as an external drive (and I know my HDD is working just fine because I've been booting it as an external HDD on a MBA and I had no problems with it).
    I tried everything that I could think of. Tried with different HDD, both with a clean install of Yosemite, tried switching the RAM to the original 4GB (I have 16GB now), but nothing worked.
    After a long time, I finally managed to run the AHT and I got this error: 4SNS/1/C0000008: TPOP--124
    So I know it's an sensor error (and a CNET article told me the T means temperature and P power bus).
    I took it to an authorized repair center (I live in Brazil, the nearest Apple Store isn't exactly near me and anyway I can't set up an appointment and
    they refuse service without one) and they said it's a problem with the logic board (but this after they said it was the HDD and I asked them to check again because I knew it wasn't), they don't have the replacement part and there's nothing they can do.
    So my question is, can I fix this problem? I could even consider buying a new logic board and replacing it myself, but I'm afraid to spend all that money (around US$500 here) and find another similar problem a few months down the road. A new 13 rMBP (base model) is around US$2800 here, so it's not an option right now.
    Is there anything I can do or should I just throw my MBP away?

2. FlamingFoxx macrumors newbie

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Apple has a repair program in place for 2011 MBP's with logic board issues.
    If your laptop is on that list then you should be able to use that page to initiate getting a repair. If they cant get the part to repair it then you should be able to argue for a new machine...

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not valid for 13".

OP has a 13" 2011 MBP.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Try replacing DC-in board. That has some power-related sensors (the error is related to a failed sensor on either the Logic Board, or the DC-in.)

DC-in is much cheaper to replace, so I would start there.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's a 13" so won't be affected by Radeongate.