Early 2011 MBP making high pitched noise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bryan85, Nov 19, 2012.

1. bryan85 macrumors regular

This is a really weird problem. When my MBP has sustained network utilization roughly >5Mbps, it makes a faint high pitched whine. It's not the fans, and it's more pronounced when using ethernet but does occur on wireless as well. Is this normal? I've had two MacBooks prior to this and neither of them made this noise. :confused:

P.S., It isn't a HDD sound as I have an SSD. Speakers are muted, and no other devices connected.

2. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Optical drive. My desktop used to do that... haven't heard about it in a laptop though.

3. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing in the optical drive. Can't even tell you the last time I used it.

4. TheAngryPenguin macrumors member

TheAngryPenguin

Next time it happens, disconnect and reconnect your power adapter.

5. TheAngryPenguin macrumors member

TheAngryPenguin

Just checking in for an update. Has it happened again? Did unplugging your power adapter help? The reason I ask is that I too have an Early 2011 MacBook Pro (15", RAM updated to 8GB, Crucial), and I recently replaced the HD with a SSD (Samsung 830). Somewhere in between, one of the pins on my MagSafe power adapter lost its ability to spring out fully. I would have to wiggle the connector to create a solid connection, and sometimes I would have to tap it so that the pin would extend out fully to make a solid connection. The times that I've noticed the high pitched noise, the connector was green, but both it, and the area it was connected to, were really warm (borderline hot).

The sound seemed to be emitting from where the SSD was physically located. Once I unplugged the power connector, the sound immediately went away. Most of the time, the sound did not return when reconnecting the power, but sometimes it would. I have since had my MagSafe replaced and have yet to notice the high pitched noise. In my experience, the noise was augmented by trackpad activity, specifically two-finger-scrolling. It sounded like white noise oscillating at a 64th note resolution at 120 bpm, kinda' clicking, but also pitchy.

At any rate, I hope at least some of this helps.

6. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

This doesn't seem to help at all. I have experienced plugged in, or using strictly battery power.

----------

My noise also seems to be emitted from were the SSD is located. I checked my MagSafe and it appears to be fine, no stuck pins. :confused:

7. TheAngryPenguin macrumors member

TheAngryPenguin

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. If you installed your SSD in the optical bay, maybe relocating it to the HD bay might make a difference. Hope you get it sorted. If you do, please post an update here so that others can benefit from your experience.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Happens with mine too, Early 2011 15" with HDD. I remember asking about it back in 2011 and other people had the same noise so I didn't worry about it. It hasn't blown up or anything in the past 18 months :)

9. TheAngryPenguin macrumors member

TheAngryPenguin

Good to know! Being a musician (with perfect pitch), my ears (not to mention my mentality) are highly sensitive to such things! And I can say for sure that my new MagSafe has made all the difference in the world!

10. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

The SSD is the factory Apple one. The only thing I have done is upgraded the RAM to 8GB Crucial.

----------

Yeah, I guess if other people have it as well and it doesn't affect anything it's fine. I've had way too many Genius Bar appointments to care at this point.