Early 2011 Mbp problem with Facetime app

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MPB11, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MPB11 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have an early 2011 15 inch mbp and I had some problems with the facetime app lately (3 times this week), so here's the situation: I start having a facetime conversation with someone and after 2-3 minutes, the person with who I'm speaking tells me she/he can't hear me anymore, even if the camera still works, it looks like my microphone turns off. I've open the system preferences and noticed that my mic seems to work properly but people just can't here me. The only way so far I found to make it work again i to do a restrart which is really annoying. I have no idea if it's a software or hardware problem....anybody can help?

thanks !

P.s.: sorry if I made some mistakes writting this down, english is not my first language! :)

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Does this only happen with facetime? That is, if you were doing a video chat with iChat, does it work fine? If you're recording video through iMovie, does it work there?

3. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try tonight (i'm at the office right now) and see if it happens with any other apps but what bugs me is that the mic really seems to work since I'm capable of having a conversation for 2-3 minutes and then boom, it stops working, I'll get back to you tonight, thanks for your help.

4. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright so I tested my mic with iMovie and photobooth and I can hear myself loud & clear so it seems to be working perfect but with facetime it just stops during a conversation! it's really anoying

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

Since it doesn't stop working in other apps, that effectively limits the issue to FaceTime itself. Try FaceTime under a clean user. If that works, clear out FaceTime preferences and caches in your home directory. If it doesn't, try reinstalling FaceTime (if applicable), and cleaning out global FaceTime caches and preferences.

6. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I've had the same issue but I'm overseas so I assumed it just my shoddy internet connection, but sometimes it would be working fine and when I plug in my iPhone headphones to use the mic so I have to talk so loud, then the sound would cut out completely and unplugging would not make it work. I even tried this at home on a better connection during my leave. Did the same thing. I assumed that meant that the apple iPhone earbuds were not compatible?

Anyway, I'll try those tips as well and see if I have any luck. Mine seems to be a FaceTime only issue as well. Skype works fine as does Yahoo instant messenger.

8. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

hmm, wondering if you guys fixed it or not, I don't know if I should just keep using skype or grab Facetime..

9. MPB11 thread starter macrumors regular

IMO facetime is easier to use but skype comes in handy when you're trying to reach someone over 3g.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I don't normally use it but have a friend that does. So I just connected with him and ours are working just fine.

11. Detrius macrumors 68000

No, the iPhone earbuds are not compatible. They have an extra conductor.