Early 2011 MBP Screen Discoloring

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wct097, Jun 3, 2012.

1. wct097 macrumors 6502

My early 2011 2.2 quad-i7 high res AG MBP is starting to show discoloration to the bottom of the screen. On a black background it appears as a 1" lighter strip across the bottom. On a blue or white background, it's orange. Seems to be worse on the bottom right corner.

Doesn't appear to go away when the machine has been powered off.

I'm out of warranty at this point, so I'll probably have to hit up my Amex extended warranty.

Is this common? Apple defect due to heat?

[​IMG]

2. wct097 thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems to be getting worse. I have to say, I'm not impressed. I'd have expected a $2500 machine with the "high res anti-glare" screen option to have a screen that lasted more than a couple months past it's warranty period.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 17844 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem... late 2011 MBP with high res anti glare display, yellow band in the lowest part of the screen, perhaps an inch high. Discovered it three months after one year warranty experied. It has probably been there quite some time.

After some back and fourth the genius bar at the NYC meat packing store they offered a discounted service of $210 or so plus tax. They would not repair in the store at this price but send it away to a service center, said the benefit would be they would go trough the entire machine at the same time... sounded like they possibly would exchange the machine but could not figure out why there was a price difference for service in the store (about $500) vs sending it to an apple service center.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's depot repair. They go over the entire machine at a set rate, but it can take some time. It's offered for out of warranty repairs without signs of abuse. They offered me something similar on an older laptop a long time ago. I think it was my old G4 (this would have been 2003-2004). I will say that this used to happen frequently on the older intel imacs. I saw it on the 24" imac quite a lot. It's not necessarily heat, but they're cheaping out on circuitry somewhere. The oemed panel isn't necessarily the only factor in display stability.