Early 2011 mbp SSD disappointment?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjessen, Jan 18, 2012.

1. sjessen macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I bought an early 2011 17" mbp. The specs are a follows:

2.3gHz i7 intel processor
    512gb SSD
    Radeon HD6750M 1gb DDR3
    8gb RAM
    Windows 7

Now, just the other day I ran a "Windows experience index" test, and I noticed that my scores aren't that good, but what struck me in particular was the SSD score of a mere 6.8. Does that seem right? I didn't think so, but I don't care that much about the WEI score anyway because I've heard it's useless, but just out of curiosity I checked my Device Manager and saw that my SSD driver is from 2006!? Automatic search for update gives nothing.

I googled but wasn't able to find any place with newer driver software. Do you guys know if I can find better drivers anywhere, and if it would help at all?

Here's my WEI:
    And here's a screen of my outdated SSD drivers:

2. gadgetlover77 macrumors newbie

Yeah, it is a bit slow. Most SSDs that I have seen score around 7.6-7.8. I am fairly certain it is because you are using an older driver. At least to me, it makes a big difference in everyday operating speeds.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You don't need to update the "driver" for the SSD, it's using the generic device included with the base OS written by Microsoft.

As long as the Boot Camp drivers are installed then all will be fine. Messing around will only break Windows and not increase the performance of the SSD one iota.

4. gadgetlover77 macrumors newbie

You are likely right on the drivers. However, many users do optimize their SSDs under Windows 7.

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

@jessen: What kind of SSD are you using?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I don't think it has to do with drivers. I'm not aware of special "SSD" drivers that a OS needs.

Download some disc benchmarks if you really want to know the read/write speeds. Apple uses SATA II SSDs, so you should end up somewhere in the 200 MB/s ballpark.

Also, did you actually notice that the scale goes from 1 to 7.9? Not that it really matters, but even a 6.8 seems to be quite ok.

6. shansoft macrumors 6502