Early 2011 MBP unusable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PSerio1991, Nov 28, 2014.

1. PSerio1991 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 15" MBP (early 2011) 2.0 core i7. It has worked perfectly since I got it. Then I upgraded to Yosemite. Since upgrading the computer is extremely slow and takes forever to open up apps, often freezing up completely. Also it has started to just turn off randomly. It is becoming unbearable. I am thinking about upgrading to an SSD drive and upgrading the ram. Would this fix my problems? And is there anything else I can do to get my MBP back running how it was before the OS upgrade?

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

3. PSerio1991 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

1) consider upgrading to 8 gigs.
    yosemite likes to use every drop of ram to make your mac faster. and it can be a little sluggish on a 4 gig machine
    2) reset pram and smc
    3) did u turn on file vault? file vault can slow down the mac like 30 %
    4) be patient. macs make application caches, and once it has enough application caches it will get better
    5) run disk utility to verify and repair the disk and permissions
    6) maybe get a hybrid hard disk. they come with 8 gb ssd or more + a mechanical drive
    7) uncheck the resume from last lesson box once in a while to clear that out
    8) download applejack from source forge
    boot into safe mode by doing command S
    and type applejack AUTO
    the utility is a little old but it still does a good job on mavericks and yosemite
    theres also a deep clean option

i think replacing it with a SSD should be the last thing to do.

i got a new 2014 mac mini with 4 gigs of ram with yosemite. when it was brand new it was sluggish as heck and
    i wanted to return it. but after having it for a week or so , it has gotten a lot better.

people forget that os x makes application caches. and it needs time to build them

----------

post a screen shot of activity monitor. with cpu and memory

as long as MEMORY PRESSURE is LOW and GREEN you are perfectly fine and you don't need a ram upgrade.

if its using a lot of swap and compressed ram, you need more memory

if it says memory 4 gig and 3 gig used or 8 gigs and 7 gigs used or something like that. that doesn't mean you are running out of memory. that just means Yosemite is working properly to make your system snappier.

the genius told me that , and it bugged me
    i felt like driving back and complaining to the store manager

5. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

damn looks like im not upgrading. just got mbp back from apple.

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

When upgrading did you enable FileVault 2 on your drive?

I've had a number of instances where the FileVault 2 encrypted drives have been corrupted leading to really horrible performance issues. To fix it all it has required was minor partition repair by disk utility.

I would open up Disk Utility and try a verify of your drive. If it comes back saying there are errors, reboot your Mac into the recovery partition "command + r" keys at boot. Then choose "Disk Utility." Lastly click the encypted partition on your drive (the second one below the disk in the list) and click mount from the top corner. It will ask for your password if it is encrypted. Then press "Repair Disk" and let it have a go.