Early 2011 MBP upgrade ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reticent, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Reticent macrumors member

Hey all--

I have an early 2011 2.2 MBP and I'm looking at options for upgrading the ram from 4 to 8 gigs. I don't want to use apple, as they are quoting $200 for the job which I find outrageous.

My machine now has 4 gigs of 1333 mhz ddr3 sdram.

Has anyone successfully updated, and if so what brand etc. did you use. And where did you buy it? Where could I find it? Suggestions?

Best!

2. mjohnson1212 macrumors member

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I updated mines from the same source as the one posted above.. 0 issues

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Me to but with my 2010 MBP.

5. Cantisama macrumors member

Apple is way overpriced ($200 for an upgrade to 8gb, meaning you're paying some unknown amount for the 4gb that comes standard, then an additional $200).

OWC is also overpriced.

Take your pick from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...333 laptop&name=Laptop Memory&Order=BESTMATCH

Personally I went with Crucial since they are my favorite laptop ram manufacturer, but all those listed are 100% compatible with the 2011 mbp and offer the exact same performance as the more expensive options (i.e. timings and frequencies are the same).

6. Reticent, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Reticent thread starter macrumors member

Ok so new question

Ok--

So I went on all the websites. The eshop macsales website is selling PC3-10600 while newegg has PC3-10600 or PC3-10666.

What is the difference? Is one faster? Is one compatible and one not? Should I be considering the 10666? In this case, are higher numbers actually better?

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help so far, and thanks in advance for your replies.

7. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I have been using Data Memory Systems in New Hampshire since the early 90's. Great people. And they stand behind their product. Got my 8gb for $118, I think. The install is super easy too.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

There are already a ton of threads on this so it may be worth it for you to do a search and read through all the opinions on the other threads. Re: 10600 vs. 10666, I have the latter and it works just fine. (I don't think it's faster, but it may be a diff. serial number.)

9. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

ok.... went with OWC. We'll see how it goes...

I've done RAM installs before and am not too worried about it. However, I'm a little curious what everyone has done to discharge static for the process. The manual for the machine just says touch something metal. I'd like to avoid touching the wrong metal thing. So suggestions?

10. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Kinda hijacking, but I was wondering. I know replacing the RAM doesn't void Apple Care, but if something were to happen later on down the road and I did need work on it or a replacement, and I didn't have the original RAM anymore because I sent it in to OWC for a rebate, would that pose any problems?

11. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

Wow that's a really interesting question. I honestly don't foresee it being an issue IMHO, but you should just call up an Applestore or Applecare and ask. They could find out and give you an answer. But man, that's a really good question (and I'd be interested in hearing what the answer is). Please post when you find out!

12. Cantisama macrumors member

There is no difference between 10600 and 10666. 10600 is the official naming convention for this speed of memory, 10666 is a marketing ploy to make you think you are getting something faster.

13. KieferThomas macrumors newbie

Kinda hijacking, but I was wondering. I know replacing the RAM doesn't void Apple Care, but if something were to happen later on down the road and I did need work on it or a replacement, and I didn't have the original RAM anymore because I sent it in to OWC for a rebate, would that pose any problems?

Yes this will make a difference you need to keep the original RAM for the MBP since Apple Care will not touch the unit unless the approved apple memory is installed. I know this for fact as I just had it happen to me...:apple:

14. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Just keep the original memory in a box and swap the others out if you really want before taking the product to the store... It is really simple and no one will ever know you had a different memory in there ( same goes for HDD ).

15. jlrathke macrumors member

jlrathke

I upgraded my early 2011 MBP and and my mini with 8gb PNY from Best Buy. It was $50 for 8GB and haven't had any problems at all.

Jerry