Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I've got an Early 2011 MBP that has a circa 2013 logic board in it (which was later determined to be part of the Class Action lawsuit involving the defective logic boards), and a non-original SSD, HDD, and RAM. I've been using it basically as a desktop for quite a while with a Dell 27" screen, and external keyboard/mouse.

Today out of nowhere, vertical lines appeared on the screen, and the machine was completely nonresponsive. I tried unplugging the MDP and USB and rebooting, it got stuck on the progress bar as it was trying to boot. I tried resetting the SMC and pram. I tried Recovery mode, and it got to the Apple, but never into actual Recovery mode. I got it into Internet Recovery mode, and it downloaded the recovery, but can't seem to actually boot it, it's trying to do something, as it's in 747 mode (fans roaring).

I tried Googling for vertical lines, but I couldn't really find anything about similar issues. Has anyone heard of it, and if so, what's wrong with this thing? Is it fixable, or is it time to build a new PC and go with Windows 10?
[doublepost=1476755950][/doublepost]Oh yeah, it's on it's second or third battery too, although that's probably neither here nor there. Right now it's getting shown up by my fake MBP, which is some Acer Chromebook that is a ridiculously shameless knock-off of the MBP. :D

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Sounds like the graphics have once again failed. The repair program is still active until December this year: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Good find. I had read elsewhere that it ended earlier this year. It looks like I'll have to put it's original DVD drive back in, and send it in for logic board #3. Are they going to care that it has an aftermarket SSD, battery, and RAM at this point? The battery is working well enough for what I do, and I try to cycle it at least once a month down to 50% or so, so I'm not going to replace that at this point.

Some of the 2012 and 2013 models affected are falling off the recall before their 5-year lifespan (based on the computer experts at the IRS lol), but they have covered the 2011's through their lifecycle.

I guess it's worth the hassle to get it repaired (my Apple store is about an hour away), as it would make a transition over to my eventual Windows 10 PC a LOT easier if I can just transfer stuff over the network, and still have a working laptop as opposed to trying to figure out how to read a bunch of HFS+ hard drives and have to dredge up a Mac from somewhere to convert my Aperture library over to Lightroom.
[doublepost=1476783627][/doublepost]I guess I could have them price quote the repair for the board with the ports on it, since one of the USB ports is partially failed, but I don't think I'll pay for that, as IIRC, it was outrageously expensive, and I can live with one USB port (other other one sometimes works).

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Good find. I had read elsewhere that it ended earlier this year. It looks like I'll have to put it's original DVD drive back in, and send it in for logic board #3. Are they going to care that it has an aftermarket SSD, battery, and RAM at this point? The battery is working well enough for what I do, and I try to cycle it at least once a month down to 50% or so, so I'm not going to replace that at this point.

Aftermarket SSD and RAM definitely wouldn't be an issue. Battery... possibly, as it's not deemed to be a user replaceable part, but honestly I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

The MLBs they replace with are refurbs, so likely only a matter of time until it'll fail again. :(

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Are they going to care that it has an aftermarket SSD, battery, and RAM at this point?
- My AASP didn't care at all about my removed SuperDrive, upgraded AirPort card, dual SSDs or non-spec RAM. Apple may be different.

I guess I could have them price quote the repair for the board with the ports on it, since one of the USB ports is partially failed, but I don't think I'll pay for that, as IIRC, it was outrageously expensive
- They replace the entire logic board, so you'll get new ports as well.

Reactions: simon lefisch

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store RIGHT AWAY, while the repair program is still in force.

You're in CT (like me)… it's not very far to make the trip.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008

When I had mine done, they didn't care about the SSD, but I think they took out the ram, replaced it with whatever came with the machine, and put the after market RAM in a baggie and shipped it back with the machine.

They also free of charge fixed a few other issues. I had a wonky display that they just fixed.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Aftermarket SSD and RAM definitely wouldn't be an issue. Battery... possibly, as it's not deemed to be a user replaceable part, but honestly I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

The MLBs they replace with are refurbs, so likely only a matter of time until it'll fail again. :(

That sucks. This kind of makes me lose faith in Apple. I'm toying with the idea of buying another MBP, depending on what they come up with next week, and how many dongles are required to hook up my hodge-podge of non-Apple peripherals. We'll see. The Windows 10 PC would be a lot cheaper. I guess the replacement logic board, if I can get it, will safely buy me at least a few months with the existing machine.

Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store RIGHT AWAY, while the repair program is still in force.

You're in CT (like me)… it's not very far to make the trip.

Yeah, I'm going to go in the first week of November. I've got plans pretty much solid for the next two weeks. Unfortunately, I'm in Groton, so the closest for me is in Providence. New Haven or West Farms is about the same distance, about an hour.

When I had mine done, they didn't care about the SSD, but I think they took out the ram, replaced it with whatever came with the machine, and put the after market RAM in a baggie and shipped it back with the machine.

That's weird. As long as they give it back, I can always put it back in haha.
[doublepost=1476830364][/doublepost]
- My AASP didn't care at all about my removed SuperDrive, upgraded AirPort card, dual SSDs or non-spec RAM. Apple may be different.

They send them off somewhere, so I guess I'll have to ask the Genius about it. They are way out of warranty, but they might not like all the aftermarket stuff I have in there. I've never been able to completely screw in the OptiBay, but it just sits in there and chills with an SSD in it.

What upgrades for the Airport Card are available? Is that just for BT 4.0 LE? The 3-stream N in the Early 2011, while not actually AC, works really nicely with AC routers, and can actually do about 300mbps both directions in my testing.

They replace the entire logic board, so you'll get new ports as well.

Hmmm, good point, I forgot it was all one board. That's a little side benefit, I guess.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
What upgrades for the Airport Card are available? Is that just for BT 4.0 LE?
- Yes, BT 4.0 card from a 2012 machine.

Allows full compatibility with the Magic Trackpad 2 as well as Continuity features in macOS with a hack. Don't use the latter any longer, though.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Oooooh ok. Yeah, I use PC peripherals and mostly use an Android phone (soon entirely) so none of that would do much for me. I like to be cross-platform, which is why a new MBP is tempting, as I have a Chromebook and a Windows 10 HTPC, so that would keep me active on all 3 platforms.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014

Same here. I've heard Apple themselves will replace it with the original parts that came with the laptop. I took mine to an authorized service center and they didn't even think twice about it.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Same here. I've heard Apple themselves will replace it with the original parts that came with the laptop. I took mine to an authorized service center and they didn't even think twice about it.

I'll probably put the DVD drive back in, as I don't want them messing around with my Optibay. That means SDD in the HDD bay, HDD stays here. Bleh. Maybe this time around I can figure out how the **** to screw in that tiny little screw to get the Optibay fully in. I should probably get new screws for the bottom panel too, I'm on my second or third set of those (sense a pattern here :D?).

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
So I was finally able to take it to the Apple Store today. At first the guy was like "no, it can't be the video card issue since you've already had it replaced." He ran through some tests, and it failed the graphics card test, so he sent it in for a new Logic Board under the repair program. It should be back next week.

I also looked at the new MBPs, and I really like them. Although I wish they had put a couple of regular USB ports on there, the concept of a single-cable dock for everything including power is very, very attractive. I'm choking a bit on the price, so we'll see. At least I'll have my current MBP back for the time being.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
My Early 2011 just started acting up again. I've had the main board replaced once under the graphics repair program, but I guess the problem is back.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I got it back. It's all good for now. I'm going to consider if I want to upgrade to the new MBP or not, but probably not for a few months.

uptownnyc, bring it in ASAP, as the program may end at the end of the year.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Brought it in today. Same problem but they'll repair it under the program at no cost. How long did your repair take? I'm without a laptop but not buying an old MBP right before the new ones are available.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Brought it in today. Same problem but they'll repair it under the program at no cost. How long did your repair take? I'm without a laptop but not buying an old MBP right before the new ones are available.

I brought it in last Thursday evening, and it was back in on Tuesday afternoon. I couldn't pick it up because I had to vote and then watch the apocalypse, so I get it yesterday. I'm not sure how the weekend affected or didn't the turnaround time.

I'm conjecturing a guess that they have a repair facility in Memphis or Louisville, and it got air freighted down and back.

Reactions: unknown8bit

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I brought it in last Thursday evening, and it was back in on Tuesday afternoon. I couldn't pick it up because I had to vote and then watch the apocalypse, so I get it yesterday. I'm not sure how the weekend affected or didn't the turnaround time.

I'm conjecturing a guess that they have a repair facility in Memphis or Louisville, and it got air freighted down and back.

Brought mine into New York. They quoted me 5-7 business days turn-around time. Last time it took it in on a Tuesday and it was back by Sunday. But I need a machine for Monday, so unless they have some magical ability to turn it around quickly, I'm going to need to come up with some solution. I asked if they had loaners - they said no. But the guy told me I should buy one and return it. Hate doing that, but seems like my only option given that I'm not going to buy an old MBP right before the new ones are available, and they can't provide me with a suitable replacement.

Guess I could try out the new 13" and see if I like t.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Brought mine into New York. They quoted me 5-7 business days turn-around time. Last time it took it in on a Tuesday and it was back by Sunday. But I need a machine for Monday, so unless they have some magical ability to turn it around quickly, I'm going to need to come up with some solution. I asked if they had loaners - they said no. But the guy told me I should buy one and return it. Hate doing that, but seems like my only option given that I'm not going to buy an old MBP right before the new ones are available, and they can't provide me with a suitable replacement.

Guess I could try out the new 13" and see if I like t.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I have a Chromebook, so I used that for a couple weeks while I got my machine in. I'm in Groton, CT, so it's over an hour to my Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.