Early 2011 MBP won't take DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightning33, Nov 14, 2013.

1. lightning33 macrumors member

So I just bought an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro (a new-to-me kind of thing) from my brother-in-law. I tried to play a DVD and it takes the DVD, but then there is some buzzing/grinding (not the best word, but it's all I got) and then it spits the DVD back out without anything happening. It seems like it cannot spin the disc. I tried seveal DVDs and it happened to them all.

I put Mavericks on the machine. My BIL put in 8 GB RAM and a 1 TB hard drive before I bought it.

Thoughts?

2. trevm999 macrumors member

It's pretty common, it will be a hardware problem. I've always just replaced the disc drive when that happens, not sure if someone has had any luck in repairing the drive itself.

3. lightning33 thread starter macrumors member

4. Doward macrumors 6502a

AppleCare took care of mine - but yes, you need a new SuperDrive.

5. lightning33 thread starter macrumors member

AppleCare is not in the picture i don't think. So, what's this going to cost me?

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Drive it shot, it's up to you to decide if you watch enough DVDs to pay for a repair.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

About $140 CDn for a Superdrive replacement at the Genius bar. Cheaper just to get an external DVD drive.

----------

About $140 CDn for a Superdrive replacement at the Genius bar. Cheaper just to get an external DVD drive or an AppleTV and rent the movie.

8. Voca macrumors member

Voca

If you are a little handy and have the right tools, you can do it yourself.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Optical+Drive+Replacement/5122

The drive you can get off of eBay for about $40.