Early 2011 MBPro to 2018 MBAir

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
As my MBPro is getting on in age, I am considering the current MBAir. If I go that route, what would be the best way to connect the two laptops to run Migration Assistant, if that's possible, considering speed, reliability and required adapters? The MBPro has the following ports:
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • FireWire 800
  • USB 2.0
  • Thunderbolt
Thank you.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
As my MBPro is getting on in age, I am considering the current MBAir. If I go that route, what would be the best way to connect the two laptops to run Migration Assistant, if that's possible, considering speed, reliability and required adapters? The MBPro has the following ports:
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • FireWire 800
  • USB 2.0
  • Thunderbolt
Thank you.
I would probably recommend transferring data over Wi-Fi, this way you don't have to use any other hardware. It's really quite easy and effective.

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
What i did In 2010 was time machine my powerbook g4 from an external drive and migrate certain applications like cs3, office etc along with files into my brand spanking new macbook air with no problems. The 2 macbooks ran on 2 different processors waaaaay back then.
I hope this helps!

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What i did In 2010 was time machine my powerbook g4 from an external drive and migrate certain applications like cs3, office etc along with files into my brand spanking new macbook air with no problems. The 2 macbooks ran on 2 different processors waaaaay back then.
I hope this helps!
Yeah, that's my preference normally, too. However, the port changes between the 2011 and 2018 make that a little bit trickier

theapplehead

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2018
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • FireWire 800
  • USB 2.0
  • Thunderbolt
Thank you.
I’d do thunderbolt. I always prefer a corded data transfer. I don’t like worrying about finding good WiFi to transfer all my data. It would take too long to download it all and it may fail

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I’d do thunderbolt.
So that would be thunderbolt 1 on MBPro to thunderbolt 3 on MBAir. What's the best way to do that as far as cables/adapters go?

Also, if the cables/adapters to that are expensive for a one-time use, would using a USB-C to USB-A cable work, if slower? That would involve one ~$10 cable.

biffuz

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2016
Also, if the cables/adapters to that are expensive for a one-time use, would using a USB-C to USB-A cable work, if slower? That would involve one ~$10 cable.
Nope, that doesn't work. Unlike old serial ports, USB is only for computer-to-device, not computer-to-computer (except for smartphones, which in fact are smart enough to detect if they need to act as computer or as device; apparently PCs are too stupid to do that).
There are those "data transfer" computer-to-computer USB cables; older ones in reality are two serial adapters, one for each computer, joined together, and I don't think they work on Macs, especially for your use case, since they need special software; newer ones are Ethernet adapters, and they should work (as long as macOS has drivers for the chip).
For best compatibility and cost, use real Ethernet; all you need is a dirty cheap Ethernet cable and a USB-C to Ethernet adapter for the Air. If the two Macs don't see each other this way, you need to plug them in to a router, which you may already have.
Another option is to use Time Machine. Backup the old one and restore on the new one.

Reactions: mac_in_tosh

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Nope, that doesn't work. Unlike old serial ports, USB is only for computer-to-device, not computer-to-computer (except for smartphones, which in fact are smart enough to detect if they need to act as computer or as device; apparently PCs are too stupid to do that).
Even if I boot the MBPro in target disk mode?

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Is there much difference performance wise going from a 2011 MacBook Pro to the new 2018 MacBook Air? I owned a early 2011 MacBook Pro (15”) it was a great machine until it died late last year.

The MacBook Air seems to be a great update to the Air line up but I’m not sure it can compete with the Pro line up.

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
I owned a early 2011 MacBook Pro (15”) it was a great machine until it died late last year.
Owwwwch! What went wrong with the macbook pro?
My mbair suffered a massive shut down today, i dumbly tried installing the wrong end of a usb chord into the usb port, and the mbair just shut down

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Owwwwch! What went wrong with the macbook pro?
My mbair suffered a massive shut down today, i dumbly tried installing the wrong end of a usb chord into the usb port, and the mbair just shut down
To be fair I did have it for 7 years, the screen went all funny with like pink lines going across it, won’t boot past the Apple logo. I’ve written it off because it’s old. I plan on either getting the MacBook Air or a new MacBook Pro at some point, I’m in no rush tho as I have a 2012 iMac and my iPad Pro.

I do also have a Surface Pro 6, but that’s going to be sold or simply used as a back up device.

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
To be fair I did have it for 7 years, the screen went all funny with like pink lines going across it, won’t boot past the Apple logo. I’ve written it off because it’s old. I plan on either getting the MacBook Air or a new MacBook Pro at some point, I’m in no rush tho as I have a 2012 iMac and my iPad Pro..
The graphic card is shot, shame we cant replace those in most macs,
My Mbair needs to be replaced and snow leoprded for good, im looking at either a macbook pro 2012-15 or a Dell xps with a fresh copy of linux mint!

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
The graphic card is shot, shame we cant replace those in most macs,
My Mbair needs to be replaced and snow leoprded for good, im looking at either a macbook pro 2012-15 or a Dell xps with a fresh copy of linux mint!
Probably, it was 7 years old. It was the best laptop i ever owned, before that i was with Windows. personally i'm looking at either the new Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro. The Air seems to fit my needs well i think.