Early 2011 or possible overhaul 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brisenosan, Feb 25, 2011.

  1. brisenosan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    #1
    The new 13 inch macbook pro.... It looks incredible, and i've been waiting for years to have a mac, and i really want to start with a "Pro" model (let's face it, Aluminum unibody beats polycarbonate in every way)
    But there's also OSX Lion coming in a few months, and it looks fantastic (so far)
    and these liquid metal patents that appeared some time ago have enough power to keep me waiting for another year...
    So what do you think? should i just go ahead and buy the new Thunderbolt macbook pro? (2.7 ghz 13-inch) or wait another year and get a "true" Lion redesigned macbook pro? :confused:
     
  2. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #2
    Next year Ivy Bridge will bring Quad cores to the 13" MBP ( unless Apple keeps putting Sandy Bridge CPU's in those MBP which I highly doubt ).

    So if you can wait and really don't need one, you could wait.
     
  3. Nein01 macrumors 6502

    Nein01

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2009
    Location:
    Germany
    #4
    Is this the first "buy now or wait?" thread since the update?

    Lol
     
  4. ZZANG macrumors regular

    ZZANG

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Planet Cybertron
    #5
    Well, speaking from a 15" user point of view - I don't see how you can't find the value of having a portable Mac Pro... Excellent value this upgrade turned out to be. :apple:
     
  5. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

    vipergts2207

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #6
    Lol, it didn't even take 2 full days.
     
  6. [DL] macrumors 6502

    [DL]

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #7
    Wait. The change in 2012 will definitely be a big improvement.
     
  7. ZZANG macrumors regular

    ZZANG

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Planet Cybertron
    #8
    Major revision is a direct possibility as it would make sense. However, the way I see it - the power we have with the current crop is insane. Price for power for once in my opinion actually justifies the "Apple Tax" of ownership.

    I enjoy speed and multitasking. On my 2010 i7 - fast as it was... it pales in comparison to what this laptop can do. I work with large RAW images, Photoshop, Illustrator and etc. The difference is not superficial - it's very much apparent - like a fat chick in a club. :D

    Worst case scenario - I just sell this Mac like I did and just pay around 200 bucks extra - but, I doubt I will considering this laptop is so damn fast it's ridiculous. I might actually wait a two years before even considering another upgrade if at that. :cool:
     
  8. ZZANG macrumors regular

    ZZANG

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Planet Cybertron
    #9
    BTW - the liquid metal may or may not happen as soon as one may think. What if it doesn't? Are you going to just keep waiting?

    And what is a "true" OSX MacBook Pro? The minimum requirement for Lion is a Core 2 Duo... :rolleyes:

    Think of it this way - minus the lack of a dedicated GPU - the 13" is actually just as good as my previous 2010 i7 15"
     
  9. brachson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    #10
    I would wait - maybe even till 2014. You have been waiting for year - why not to add 3-4 years to it?
     
  10. ZZANG macrumors regular

    ZZANG

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Planet Cybertron
    #11
    How about giving some constructive criticism instead of being another guy that likes to insult others. I understand it gets mundane getting similar questions time and time again. However, each question is a valid question. If you think you are going to be sarcastic to another member - avoid posting.

    I would like to believe that you would not want similar responses to your own posts. Try and be civil eh? :)
     
  11. gox81 macrumors member

    gox81

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2011
    #12
    LOL 'Similar' question, okay, but come on, Apple released a new line not even 2 days ago..and people already wondering if they should wait another cycle just for a new OS?
    New MBP's will blow your mind as a first time Mac owner..speaking from experience :p
     
  12. macduke macrumors 604

    macduke

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Central U.S.
    #13
    Wait, it's still February and we're talking about waiting until this time next year to upgrade? If you need an upgrade now, then get it. This is probably the biggest performance upgrade to Macbook Pros since Apple switched to Intel in 2006. If you don't need to upgrade, then wait. Either your current system does what you want it to, or it could be improved. Use that as a guide, not on what might happen a year from now.

    I planned out my upgrade in advance. Last year I knew my MBP was starting to slow down, especially with CS5 and all the huge posters I've been doing in class. Then I got my 7D and it was having a rough time with the 18mp RAW photos and the 1080p uncompressed video files. That's when I knew I should start planning an upgrade, and that was last summer. So I did research, and figured if Apple made a significant advance in the next upgrade, such as quad-cores, then I would bite, as the previous advances didn't feel like much of an improvement over my older system. They did (thank goodness), and next week I should be experiencing crazy fast times. I checked them out at Best Buy, and I think I might have shorted out the system from all the drool that was coming out of my mouth. But really, these systems are BEASTS. Opening just about any app was instantaneous, and it didn't even have an SSD. Mine will!
     
  13. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    Location:
    Liebsthal, Germany
    #14
    I will certainly wait until at least next year. I use Mac Pro for all my work anyhow so the current MBP doesnt even come close to touching that. When I upgrade my MBP I dont want to even have to ask the question of is the upgrade worth my time and $. I will be looking for the next gen CPU and thunderbolt or lightningbolt or what ever they are going to call it. I will still just use it as second computer but I want to see just a bit more revision in it before I go for it.
     
  14. brachson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    #15
    don't be ridiculous - guy who is asking if he should wait another year for new MBP 2 days (yes - two days) after new line release DOES NOT really need new computer he just wants to wait what he already proved by waiting couple of years...
     
  15. Shambles macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #16
    Buy it now, enjoy it. When the refresh comes around later this year/ 2012 you'll be able to sell it for about the same amount you paid for it, maybe more if you use the educational discount. :cool: That's my plan anyway..
     

Share This Page