Early 2011 vs 2012 MBP 13" (Insurance issue)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kreew, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Kreew macrumors newbie

Hi!

A couple of weeks ago i spilled a glass of water over my MBP 13", and now my insurance company have given me a piece of paper allowing me to go to a store and pick up one of the same model or slightly better, if they dont have the old one in stock. I was hoping to get cash so that i could get the rMBP 13" at release, but unfortunately that wont happen.

So, i was looking through the Apple store and noted that the 2012 MBP 13" has an i5 instead of an i7 processor (2.5 or 2.9 instead of 2.7) and my question to you guys - will the newer 2.5 ghz i5 be a step down from my old 2.7 i7? Or can i pick the 2.5 without downgrading?

Thanks alot!
    Kreew

2. hellstorm12345 macrumors newbie

No.

The i5 3210m and your current i7 are very comparable in performance. You will be sidestepping basically. Plus the HD 4000's improved performance more than makes up for any difference.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

How about the possibility of getting the machine, returning it for credit, then using the credit towards any machine you want? ;)

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It may be a SLIGHT downgrade, but the upgraded HD4000 graphics would make up for it.

For the last 3 revisions of the 13" MBP the low end model has had an i5 while the higher end model had an i7. If you insured the high end model then and the insurance company is supposed to replace it with the current equivalent, you should be looking at the 2.9GHz MBP.

5. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

^ This sounds perfect.

6. Kreew thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, have to see if i can do that lol!

Ok, that helps me a lot if there would be any trouble at the store, thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the quick and very helpful advice!

//Kreew