Early 2011 vs Late 2011 15" Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Omek, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Omek, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

Omek macrumors regular

I recently received a refurb i7 2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro with 1GB AMD graphics, and one of my family members just got the more recent 2011 i7 2.4Ghz 15" Macbook Pro.

The display on the newer MBP seems to have a greater viewing angle, whereas mine tends to fade out when you look at it from the sides or bottom or top. Is this normal? Is Apple using a better IPS screen in the newer MBPs? I guess I thought they used the same panel. It's not a huge deal, since I'm using an external display, but I would still like to know if there's a difference or not.

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple sadly does not use IPS panels for their MBPs.

3. Omek thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, well that sucks. Thanks for the response though. I thought it didn't look like an IPS to me at all. :-(

Well, on a better note, I have it hooked up to a 30" Apple Cinema Display, so I guess I can't complain. I just thought they started using IPSs in MBPs, especially since the iMacs use them and they are in much larger dimensions. So they can make an IPS for iPads but not their pro laptop line? That seems so backwards.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Not necessarily.

There are at least two manufacturers of panels for the MBP, it just depends on luck (or not) which one you get.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Exactly.
    The Macbook Air's have two different displays. A samsung and an LG. People with LG all complain and return them until they get a Samsung.
    What do I do? I just dont bother checking as mine seems fine.
    Its the Placebo affect!

6. chillfrilla macrumors member

LG and samsung right? whihc one is better and why?

7. Omek, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

Omek thread starter macrumors regular

So is the viewing angle any better with a Samsung vs a LG? You're still not getting an IPS though, right?

Update:
    Well, I just ran this in terminal:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

and found out that it is the samsung (LTN154BT08), which I see most people say is the bad one. Everyone has traded theirs in until they got an LG.

8. chillfrilla macrumors member

what do u think the first poster said?

9. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

well I got the same screen as yours on my MBP I must admit that the main colors feels a bit yellowy on Lion/SL but in bootcamp it looks alot cooler (bluey) but in a good way.

10. Omek thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, I'm not sure if it's even worth it to keep trading it in, especially since the rest of it is in such great condition.

11. simsaladimbamba

You can select different colour profiles and calibrate the display via System Preferences > Displays > Color.