Early 2013 15" MBPR vs Current 15" MBPR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britneyfan, Nov 27, 2013.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

Apple is selling the base 15" Retina refurbished for $1699 on their site.

If I can't find a deal on the current one for $1750 or less on Friday or Monday, I might go for this one.

Is there a big difference? Would it last me less amount of time?

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

The differences are as follows:

1. Battery life: better in late 2013
    2. CPU: equivalent
    3. GPU: integrated -- better in late 2013; discrete -- absent in late 2013, thus better in early 2013
    4. SSD: better in late 2013, but difference won't really be noticeable in regular use.
    5. Everything else: more or less the same.

So I suppose that you'll be sacrificing a little bit of battery life and integrated GPU performance for a discrete GPU.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor

3. straybullet macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new rMBP 15" for $1599 directly from Apple taking advantage of their sweet $400 off deal.

I looked everywhere and that was the best deal hands down. I think the deal you found $1750 for their $1999 is as close as you're going to get unless you are a developer and can get the $1599 deal directly from Apple that I got.

If you are saving $51 on a refurb versus getting a new one, call me odd but I think I would get the new one for $51 more if I could. Yes I know the older one has discrete graphics, but thats about the only thing it has over the new rMBP. The refurb should be fine, comes with the warranty and everything, just it's a psychological thing I suppose.

4. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!!!
    What's the difference between discrete and integrated GPU?

----------

If you're a developer you get $400 off?
    I am a developer, I just haven't renewed my account for the $99 a year.

5. straybullet macrumors newbie

I decided to remove the screen cap of the pricing, Apple might not like it posted.

6. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't see it, but I don't think they offer that anymore. Thanks though!

7. raptor402 macrumors 6502

The Intel CPU inside the MacBooks has an integrated GPU. The 2012 rMBP and the top model late 2013 rMBP have a discrete NVidia Graphics card (on a separate chip), which is a lot more powerful (though battery eating) than the integrated GPU. For most low level tasks, the integrated GPU is powerful enough to provide a steady, consistent workflow. Graphic intensive tasks, on the other hand, are a completely different thing. If you plan to do anything graphically intensive (such as gaming), a discrete GPU will be essential.

However, don't misread what I said -- even if your machine has a discrete GPU, it'll be running the integrated GPU most of the time, so battery loss due to GPU is not an issue.

I hope this helps.

Raptor

8. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

It helps a lot!
    So if I do some video and photo-editing, the discrete GPU will come in handy?

And both computers are about the same speed?

9. straybullet macrumors newbie

They offer it, because I just got one and the screenshot was from today. I don't see a way to PM you or I would send it to you.

10. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Well, the difference is negligible.

Video and photo-editing are more CPU intensive tasks than GPU intensive. However, there are some processing software that use GPU acceleration for shading, etc. in video editing.

Raptor