Early 2013 MacBook pro 15 HD4000 - 4K editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stupidchair, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Stupidchair macrumors newbie

Stupidchair

Cant afford a new 15" MacBook Pro, so i wonder if its better to purchase a new 2016 Macbook Pro 13 non touch bar base model (1900$ + adapters). Or a used early 2013 Macbook Pro 15 with only HD4000 graphics card, 16gb memory and 512gb ssd (1200$). But are they powerful enough to edit 4k clips in Final Cut without lagging? Im a little skeptical about the old HD4000 graphics in the old 15" compared to the new in the 13", but the 15" has quad core witch makes it better for Final cut?

Most of my 4k content is from drones and some home videos (Sony A6500).

2. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

4k editing beyond trivial stuff is pretty tough and I don't think you can really do that on a laptop, at least not without some lag, specially a dual core one. If a laptop isn't an absolute must I would recommend that you go and look at second hand desktop machines rather than the 13".

The GPU isn't of much help here as it's an integrated one that can't really do much beyond driving the display, meaning that all the heavy lifting is going to done solely on the CPU. Only dedicated GPUs are worth anything in video editing so you can forget thinking about the GPU in this regard.

The older 15" Pro is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of the 13" model in this regard with it's 28W quad core CPU (rather than 15W dual core). Age isn't much of a factor either when Intel has stagnated as badly as it has over the last few years.

3. Stupidchair thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupidchair

Thank you. I just bought the early 2013 MacBook Pro 15. It turned out that it had the Gforce GT 650M after all, so hope it works with my 4k footage. I will test tomorrow :)