Early 2013 MBP Retina 15" RECALL?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imola Ghost, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've always have had the issues with the computer restarting on its own, blank screen, mouse disappearing.

After finally being able to get a appointment at my local store after a month of trying. I took it in to the Apple Genius store diagnose and determine its eligibility and they started running some "tests" on it. Mostly it was these "video test" that stress the video card out, I guess. However while I was there it they could not duplicate the issue.

I was told they would check it in to the store and they could run some more stressful tests on it in the back but it would take a couple of hours.

Anyways, what if they can't duplicate the issues I've been having? She said if they can't duplicate it then I could "pay" like $310 for a "general fix".

I was kind of under the impression that if it fell within the recall it would just be fixed/repaired. I also didn't think it was it could be duplicated by a video test if the MBP restarted on its own or the mouse quit working or disappeared or screen went BLACK. How is a video test going to duplicate those issues?

Comments?

2. IndoX macrumors regular

The video system test runs a very quick test to determine if the video card is bad. It is by no means perfect. The internal tests are more thorough. One tests all the hardware and takes 1-2 hours to complete. The other tests software to ensure firmware and OS X are working as expected - that also takes another few hours.

They can also run the tests for extended periods of time in loop cycles in order to get the machine to reproduce the issue.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

They just called and said that they could not duplicate the issue after trying the video screen test 5 times and then running a even greater system test on it.

Not sure what to do since I have experienced these issues and that test is NOT able to replicate them.

Ideas or comments?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Do some heavy stuff that stresses the GPU heavily until it happens again, at the store if possible.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

The thing is I never knew what caused it. It just happened.

How does a video screen test, test or duplicate my computer restarting? Or why would a video test cause my computer to restart on its own? I don't see how their video test is what was causing my issues.

The recall was for computer restarting on its own (which I experienced a lot), lines through the screen (which I experienced, not a whole lot).

Another thing I experienced was "BLACK SCREEN, and mouse disappearing. The only way to get the computer back was to force restart.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The recall is actually for the GPU failure.

Restarting on its own and having black screens are all the hallmarks of a GPU failure.

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Based upon "their" tests the Geniuses cannot duplicate my issues. I've never really used heavy graphics on this machine. A lot of internet use and some basic apps is all.

I guess I need access to some heavy graphics or video to duplicate it. Any ideas?

9. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

You may wish to give this a go:

http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/

Unsure how successful it is but from what it appears you just set it up on max settings and maybe have a temperature monitor like istat menus sitting in the background keeping track of the temperature.

10. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Not the same model, but I had issues with my Early 2011 15" MBP where it would intermittently crash in the middle of heavy video editing workflows. I had the same issue that it would never seem to do it at the exact moment that the Genius was looking - so the Genius's did not believe me. They tried taking it in over night and running the over night stress tests but to no avail.

Eventually, I got tired of hearing that they couldn't believe it until they saw it in person, so I setup at the Genius Bar and worked on a video editing project until the computer crashed mid way through an export. I flipped the computer around to the Genius, they said "oh," ran to the back and returned to tell me they would be replacing my Mac.

It might be an option, although I'm sure how your local Apple Stores Genius's will react to you hanging out at the bar for an afternoon.

11. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That sounds fun!

12. dokindo macrumors regular

I had the same conclusion from the geniuses. Ask them to send it to Apple. Mine (2012) came back with half a dozen parts replaced including the logic board and display after Apple took a look.

13. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That's good that worked for you however they want $310 to do a general fix.

14. hed1117, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

hed1117 macrumors newbie

hed1117

Take it to a different Apple store or call Apple support

I was having some intermittent issues w my 2012 MBPR.

Called support, opened a "case" file THEN set up appt at Genius Bar. Computer checked out fine for all tests at the store BUT they agreed to send it out to their main testing/repair facility in Texas - based on my complaints of several incidents of overheating + occasional track pad failure. Came back with multiple parts replaced including fans, logic board, topcase w battery, heat sink.