Early 2013 rMBP problems. Upgrade to 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gigapocket1, Dec 12, 2016.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I have an early 2013 rMBP.. 15inch 2.7 i7. 16gigs of ram.
    But for one, the battery needs to be serviced. But also, the MacBook is having display issue as you can see below. Which was my fault (It fell out of the bed)..
    The black bar down the left side as well as the flickering at the bottom.
    I went to the Apple Store today, its going to cost about $700 to fix the display as well as put in a new battery. Also, during the diagnostics test at the apple store it was saying their was a graphic cards issue but everytime they ran the test, it froze, so they never was able to complete that test. I was with most of the people on the forum who was waiting on the new 2016 models to come out. I was content on waiting on maybe the next revision that will hopefully come out in early 2017.. I just don't want to put $700 into a 4 year old computer. But just really not sure which avenue I should take.

Attached Files:

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The question is... Does your current machine do everything you need?

If it does, then spend the $700 to repair it and save the other $2000.

If it doesn't, then use this opportunity to buy the new machine for ~$2700.

I will say that the new machines are really nice. I'm using a 2016 15" tbMBP, which replaced my 2013 13" rMBP, and I've had none of the video or battery issues that others have reported. Not saying they don't happen (because obviously they do), but I don't think there's widespread problems.

Yes, they're overpriced — even for Apple gear — but other than that ("minor issue", lol), they're quite nice.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

If they know the graphics are wonky, then there's a chance that after spending that $700 for a new screen and battery it still won't work, and a new logic board will be required ($$$).

Time for a new MacBook Pro! Don't believe all the negativity - there are teething problems, sure, but the new Pros are wonderful machines.

4. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

My current mission does do everything that I need to do. Its just that it is starting to show its age. Lagging and jitters when opening certain apps.. This machine does get very load under a heavy load or even on FaceTime..

I understand the graphics thing. he said it was fine but the "quick" diagnostics said other wise and the 15 minute video test never completed

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I had the same laptop and upgraded to a maxed out 2015 model with full AppleCare for a net cost of $500, I'd look into that way before dropping a lot on a 2016.

6. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Unless you can really get a great resale value out of your current machine, I doubt you would sense any difference other than 1. half a pound lighter 2. New keyboard 3. Brighter screen 4. Better speakers. $2000 for those? Hard to justify the cost.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Then it sounds like your current machine is not doing what you need.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Here's another way of looking at it... Spend $2500 on a new Pro and in a couple of years it will be worth, what, $1500-1750? This ID will be around for a few years yet so it will hold its value pretty well.

Spend $700 on repairs (it will probably end up being more) and in a couple of years what will it be worth? Not much. And that's assuming something else doesn't break rendering it worthless.

I'd rather put $750-1000 net into a nice new machine than $700+ into a dying old one.

Though of course this doesn't consider the up-front cost burden so that might be another factor.

9. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

The resale value is crap without getting it fixed.. I can probably get at most 1100 for it. And that will be me waiting a while and really finding someone that's willing to pay for it.
    But that will be me spending the cash to get it fixed. In current condition, I'll be lucky to get $300 for it..

That's kind of the way I've been looking at it. I really don't want to put that amount into a dying machine.. Its just that I was planning on selling it and putting that $$ towards the new one but obviously the resale value now is crap. It's just a matter of do I just cut my loses. Maybe just use this computer as a desktop. Always plugged up to the monitor at home.

10. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ended up going with the maxed out (stock) 15 inch pro.. Got a friend that apple that allowed me to use his family discount.. So it came out to be about 2400... Not a bad deal