Early 2013 to Early 2015 Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick676, May 28, 2015.

1. nick676 macrumors newbie

For a few months I've had a (relatively minor) graphics glitch on my early 2013 rMPB 15 (2.7Ghz/16/512), after several repair attempts Apple haven't been able to fix it and have agreed to replace it with a new 2015 model.

Although the processor isn't loads faster, the quicker SSD, graphics, wifi ac and new trackpad are decent upgrades, so I'm pretty happy.

My question is should I just restore from Time Machine backup, or start again from scratch? Will all my Parallels stuff 'just work' from a TM backup?

Could I start from scratch with most of the system and then import certain things from my TM backup, such as my iTunes library (ratings, play counts etc) and Photos library? Thanks for any help

2. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

Time Machine restores everything, so that's an option but you'll have to restore all of it. I personally prefer clean installations, but it's a preference thing. In your situation, because of Parallels, I'd probably go that route so all of it is brought over. Might be difficult to bring your Parallels files over otherwise (I'm not too familiar with how Parallels handles that)

3. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I have the same computer as you did the Early 2013 rMBP with the 2.7 16GB and 512 SSD. What graphics problems were you having? I would like to see if I can replicate them and maybe get apple to replace my machine as well. What steps did apple take to attempt to fix the issue? What did you bring your computer into the Apple Store for every time?

4. nick676 thread starter macrumors newbie

If it's been sleeping on battery power with the lid down, whenever you open it back up, the whole screen is like grey static for about a second before the login box appears.

I ignored it for a few months, hoping that Yosemite would fix it, but the same thing still happened each time. Originally spoke to online support, did all the SMC resetting etc, then tried a full wipe and reinstall from scratch (not TM restore), but still had the same issue. They said to bring it in for them to test, replaced the logic board, but the issue persisted. Took it back again, not sure if they replaced anything else this time, but they weren't able to resolve it and were going to escalate the issue internally.

I didn't hear anything for a few weeks before getting a call saying that it was probably something to do with firmware, but they couldn't get rid of it. Like I said, it is a pretty minor glitch, but I think it's fair to expect a £2000 machine to work perfectly.

I'm not sure if it's something that can be recreated, and I was very surprised that the new logic board didn't fix it.