Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I have an interesting dilemma:
I recently picked up a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 (512GB SSD, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce discreet GPU) for $650 locally. This after I already picked up an Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 (8GB Ram, 256GB SSD) locally as well for $285. Both were in OK shape (15 needed a battery and the 13 needed a new keyboard and the screen was a mess).
  • The 13 has 274 battery cycles/94% capacity.
  • The 15 just got a brand new battery from Apple so 1 battery cycle/near 99-100% capacity.
Help me decide. Which should I keep (or should I keep both). I already have a 2015 21 inch iMac with a 4k Dell monitor attached for any heavy duty work (I usually do remote work from home plus I'm getting into SwiftUI development) so this would be something I can take to work/coffee shops/work on the couch/etc.
Thank and Happy Holidays!!!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I had a similar dilemma a few years ago with a Mid 2012 15" and a Late 2013 13". I decided I wanted to keep the 15" then, and would probably make the same choice here. Especially considering the new battery.

It's up to you to decide whether to prioritize screen size and power vs. portability. The two are close enough in age that there isn't any huge benefit to picking the newer one, aside from maybe the Force Touch trackpad. That could change depending on which Macs Apple chooses to support in future versions of MacOS; the 2015 MBPs were still sold into 2017, so it's possible that they'll be supported for longer.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I had a similar dilemma a few years ago with a Mid 2012 15" and a Late 2013 13". I decided I wanted to keep the 15" then, and would probably make the same choice here. Especially considering the new battery.

It's up to you to decide whether to prioritize screen size and power vs. portability. The two are close enough in age that there isn't any huge benefit to picking the newer one, aside from maybe the Force Touch trackpad.

Portability with the 15 inch isn't that bad. The 13 is supposed to have better battery life with the newer Broadwell processors. Hmmmm.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.