Early 2015 MBP lid will not close flush.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
My 2015, 13" MBP always stays in the same place. It is never moved. I has never been dropped. No liquid has ever gotten into it. It is completely off when not in use, and the lower part of the computer is perfectly flat. Interestingly enough, when I close the lid, it remains separated from the base by about a 1/4 of an inch. It's as if somehow the keyboard is keeping it elevated. Very strange. Screen does not itself seemed warped and is functioning well. Can't account for the reason as to why the lid won't close flush with the base. I noticed this just recently. Any ideas? It looks pretty weird. Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You may be able to see if there is a problem under the keyboard (which MIGHT be a swelling battery) by removing the bottom cover. That kind of problem may be easy to spot.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. Battery condition is normal in system report. I am always averse to the idea of taking it to the Apple Store because of all my personal info, but I do have Apple Care until June of next year so I may as well backup and use it.

Reactions: Wreckus

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Be careful. If the battery is swelling that is a warning sign it is failing structurally. It will continue to swell until the pressure is relieved by out-gassing, sometime violently.

Reactions: TonyK

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I agree with others - checking the battery should be an immediate priority given it is not safe to continue to use a lithium battery that has undergone visible physical changes, such as pillowing.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
System report doesn't tell you anything about the appearance of the battery :)
It can test OK, yet be swelling out of the case (and other, more serious situations can happen as a result.
You can remove the bottom cover yourself, just to check. That will not affect your AppleCare.
I DO recommend, as others do, that you do not delay a checkout by someone who can replace your battery, if needed.

Reactions: TonyK

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Take it to Apple and have it inspected.
Stop worrying about the personal info.

If you're that concerned about it do this:
1. Get an external drive
2. Get CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper
3. Clone your internal drive to the backup
4. Boot from the clone, encrypt the internal drive, then erase it
5. Install a clean copy of the OS, and hand THAT to the Apple Store genius bar.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Take it to Apple and have it inspected.
Stop worrying about the personal info.

If you're that concerned about it do this:
1. Get an external drive
2. Get CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper
3. Clone your internal drive to the backup
4. Boot from the clone, encrypt the internal drive, then erase it
5. Install a clean copy of the OS, and hand THAT to the Apple Store genius bar.
[doublepost=1508699556][/doublepost]Swollen battery (which might explain my ongoing rogue fan issue as well) determined at Apple Store. Off for repair under Apple Care ($500 otherwise). Did Time Machine backup. 3 to 5 day turnaround. Thanks for the comments everyone. Appreciate it!

Reactions: CE3

SB-MBP

Suspended
May 11, 2013
N. Ireland
Just waiting for some of the regular posters to come along and start blaming Tim Cook for this, or talking about how Apple is no longer innovating since one person is having an issue lol

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Brought the Mac in Sunday morning, and received it back today with a new battery through Apple Care. I really do have to compliment Apple's customer service throughout this incident. Everything went smooth as butter through the whole process. I'm delighted with how well the repair was handled from start to finish. Excellent service!

Reactions: ZapNZs

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Brought the Mac in Sunday morning, and received it back today with a new battery through Apple Care. I really do have to compliment Apple's customer service throughout this incident. Everything went smooth as butter through the whole process. I'm delighted with how well the repair was handled from start to finish. Excellent service!

Congrats! Did they replace the bottom case (keyboard, track pad, and battery)?

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Top case with battery. Not sure what "top case" means, but the keyboard does feel different; easier to type. Track pad in proper alignment again.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I guess jerryk meant to say "top case" --- which includes the keyboard, trackpad and battery.
That is all replaced as a unit, and all your other parts are transferred over to the new case, so you have a fresh keyboard and trackpad, in addition to the battery.
The "lower case" is simply the bottom cover. Everything else is attached to the upper, or top case.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Very cool. Thank you for clarifying that for me DeltaMac. Keyboard feels so much better as does the trackpad. Happy camper here. Love my early 2105 MBP.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001